Midi Mate expression pedal oddness

Tommy Tequila

Experienced
I picked up a Midi Mate to use with my Ultra while waiting for the MFC (yes, the MFC exists and I've actually had my foot on one at the LA Amp show), but something seems a bit hinky with the MM.

I'm plugging a Roland EV-5 into the MM expression pedal input. I've had the pedal for quite a while, and it has worked just fine with other multi-units like Boss FC-50, VF-1, Eventide TimeFactor, etc. With the MM, though, its MIDI cc number seems to jump all around. Using learn mode in the Ultra, it immediately snaps to 1, 8 and sometimes other numbers. Turn the MM off, and you have to learn again (and reset the Extern1 it is mapped to) in my patches.

Using the MM in 5x5 mode, all other functions seem fine and the IA buttons hold their cc mapping. I'm using the pedal mainly to control delay levels, etc.

Anyone seen this before? Did I get a defective MM or...?

Thanks in advance,
TT

The pedal CC # is assignable per preset on the MidiMate. If it's actually changing the CC # of a specific preset from being powered off & on that's a problem. If different presets cause the Axe-FX to learn different numbers you just have to set them all to a certain # on the MM.

p.s. You might run into problems with the values sent out using an EV-5 with the MM. Mine starts around 112, drops to 80 then increases to 127. You can view the value if you move the pedal while the MM is in its pedal assign state. I just connect the EV-5 to the Axe Pedal 1 jack but this post hints that some resoldering can fix the MM issue: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6927

Thanks for the reply -- I'm not really changing presets on the MM at the moment, just trying to set up a single master preset that has IA for a standard 'pedalboard' type setup in the Axe. Once I get it all working, then I can replicate it for other layouts.

Pity Fremen didn't mention *what* he soldered...

I'm mess around with trying the EV-5 directly into the Axe, although I'm trying to avoid having multiple cables running from the front of the stage.

TT

The midimate uses reversed polarity for exp pedal input. Switch the tip and ring wires. Leave the ground in place. Make sure you use a stereo (trs) cable to connect the pedal to the mm. James.

lebihanj said:
The midimate uses reversed polarity for exp pedal input. Switch the tip and ring wires. Leave the ground in place. Make sure you use a stereo (trs) cable to connect the pedal to the mm. James.

Ah! That might make a difference. I'll try making a small x-over cable first to verify before I tear into the unit itself, since it works as is with all the other things I plug it into.

Thanks,
TT

Just to tie this up...

Before hacking into the EV-5, I tried an old FV-200 stereo (2 in, 2 out) keyboard volume pedal I had lying around. Using a Y-cable, it works like a champ with the Midi Mate.

TT

TT, "dumb" questions. What do you mean by Y cable & how did you hook it up to the FV200 & the Midi-mate? Are you using it for both volume & expression (wah in my case) with the MM?
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom