Midi Keyboard with AxeFX II

bossredman

Inspired
I have an AxeFX II which is hooked up to a DIY midi foot controller via the midi IN & midi OUT ports.
The AFX is also connected to my laptop via USB for use with AxeEdit.

I read somewhere that the AFX can also act as a sound card, which made me wonder if I could use it to get my Midi Controller Keyboard up & running using my laptop with a VST host & VST piano plugin.

Ideally I'd like not to have to disconnect the MFC from the AFX's midi ports.
So was wondering if I connect the keyboard to a midi interface (ie M-Audio Midisport 1x1 USB MIDI Interface) via a std midi cable & then connected the MIDI interface to my laptop with a USB cable - would I be able to achieve a low latency setup?
Low enough to just be able to noodle/play at home.

So I tried this & whilst I get sound from the keyboard - there is some latency - not huge - but enough to be distracting whilst playing.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/r.html?...ef_=pe_1909131_77697121_tnp_email_TE_AMZLdp_1
Anyone know if I can achieve a really low latency setup with what I've currently got & maybe if I'm doing something wrong?

Lower the buffer size in the audio driver set up of your DAW. I have the AXE at about 2ms reported latency in reaper.

OK thanks.
Axe Edit was already close.
As for buffer size- any ideas how to do that in VSTHost pls?
As i see "ASIO Control Panel" under "DEVICES" - but its greyed out

I guess it depends on your vst host. I'm using reaper. In the audio device set up I have asio4all installed and the buffer size set to 64samples. I don't tend to use many vst's and my pc is reasonable fast so it seems to be ok at that level.

Hi Thanks - I tried SaviHost first off - but it flagged up all kinds of warnings by my anti-virus & WIndows - so left it alone.

I'm now using the asio4all drivers which have improved things a little but still get a few pops & clicks regardless of buffer size.

I'll keep digging cheers.

Do you use a piano VSTi - if so what is it pls & is it any good?

I read you are trying to achieve this on the cheap hence why you want to use the AxeFx as a soundcard. Personally I use a dedicated souncard for my audio/DAW/VSTi. 4Front True Piano sounds pretty good and its not a huge sample library

Reactions: SJM
Hi Thanks - I tried SaviHost first off - but it flagged up all kinds of warnings by my anti-virus & WIndows - so left it alone.

I'm now using the asio4all drivers which have improved things a little but still get a few pops & clicks regardless of buffer size.

I'll keep digging cheers.

Do you use a piano VSTi - if so what is it pls & is it any good?

Interesting i never had any warnings other than the typical "unknown publisher" message from any of my anti virus scanners and i have used that since windows XP. My current protection is windows 10 & Bitdefender.

For piano VST i use Modartt's Pianoteq. It sounds amazing and takes up very little space as it uses pure physical modeling instead of samples. They have sound samples and a demo on their site you can try out.

All I was looking to do was use a single piano VSTi.
I was trying to do it on the cheap so Id started by using the free software VSTHost http://www.hermannseib.com/english/vsthost.htm
and DSK_AkoustiK_KeyZ.

So not sure if they are playing a part.

Other suggestions more than welcome.
You can download reaper full version and trial it free indefinitely, but its so good and the licence is so cheap you'll not mind paying for it.

Back
Top Bottom