Midi issues sending to triaxis... works on patch change but not scene change

mistermikev

Experienced
had this working at one point... so what has changed? well before I had midi daisy chained. Recently bought another preamp and wanted to be able to send/rec sysex to each unit individually... so also bought a motu express128.

I'm using a virtual midi patch bay to send the signal from axefx to 3 preamps on individual (motu express) channels, but all on midi channel one. the ada mb1 and mp2 work fine... scene changes work great... but the triaxis no longer works right. now... the triaxis does not have omni afa I can tell... but both the ada mp2/mb1 do. that shouldn't matter bcuz my messages are sent on channel 1... and triaxis is set to channel 1... but when troubleshooting sometimes it's best not to assume.

It's odd... because if I save my scene such that the default is patch 4... and I switch to a patch and back to that patch... the triaxis will go to 4. likewise I can get it to switch to 4/3/2/1 if the patch is saved such that that scene is the default.
changing scenes directly does not cause the triaxis to change at all while the mb1/mp2 both do change correctly.

testing the pc message to the triaxis does not work. it does work for the mb1 and mp2.

so... I'm left with the million dollar question: what is the difference in the midi message?
I suppose I'll have to dig out some sort of midi message viewer... think midi ox has this... but thought I'd ask in case anyone can save me some strife.

We need more details:

• How are you sending Midi - scene midi block, I assume?
  • How are you physically connected? What is connected to what?
  • If you go directly from Fractal to Triaxis does it work? I would start there first
Yes, Midi-OX has a monitor that you can use to view the midi.

Id go through every possible change recently.
well... as I recall the triaxis always needed to be the first device in the chain when daisy chaining. it is a bit particular... but the fact that it works when changing patches tells me that it can work... it's just getting a different message.

We need more details:

• How are you sending Midi - scene midi block, I assume?
  • How are you physically connected? What is connected to what?
  • If you go directly from Fractal to Triaxis does it work? I would start there first
Yes, Midi-OX has a monitor that you can use to view the midi.
yes, using midi block to send pc messages on chnl 1. physically connected: in1/out1 axe fx, in 2/out2 triaxis... etc. the virtual patchbay is routing axe fx out to 2/3/4 (triaxis/mp2/mb1) and i have an fc1010 sending on 5 to axe fx on 1... but that has been off for a bit.
I'm confident that if I go direct from axe fx to triaxis it will work again... but the fact that it works fine on patch change tells me it's not really a routing issue. at least I wouldn't think so.

ty both for replies btw.

ok, well... jarred something loose... think we're having a feedback loop issue... at least w monitoring... will have to stagger ins/outs and see if that has any impact... just hate to make it confusing.

yes, using midi block to send pc messages on chnl 1. physically connected: in1/out1 axe fx, in 2/out2 triaxis... etc. the virtual patchbay is routing axe fx out to 2/3/4 (triaxis/mp2/mb1) and i have an fc1010 sending on 5 to axe fx on 1... but that has been off for a bit.
I'm confident that if I go direct from axe fx to triaxis it will work again... but the fact that it works fine on patch change tells me it's not really a routing issue. at least I wouldn't think so.

ty both for replies btw.
I actually meant the midi connections - I should have been more clear.

If you're routing thru other devices and they are not a hardwired thru it could be a problem with midi merge or something...

And if it works directly then at least you've ruled out the Axe Fx and Triaxis as the problems ;)

sometimes just writing things out... really helps. i see the dif. axefx send 16 messages when it changes bank... sm message on channel 1-16. on scene change we generate 1 message. also sends a cc bank message. it's the cc 0 3 on channel 1 that solves the issue. if I send that first (not sure why)... then the pc message will work.

I actually meant the midi connections - I should have been more clear.

If you're routing thru other devices and they are not a hardwired thru it could be a problem with midi merge or something...

And if it works directly then at least you've ruled out the Axe Fx and Triaxis as the problems ;)
using midi in out on all of them into the express. it's odd... midi ox will setup loops if I include the all the express ins/outs but virtual midi patchbay will not. what was that about a "standard" lol.

Back
Top Bottom