Midi issues overload (ableton/yamaha modx/Mac )

Chewie5150

Fractal Fanatic
Using Ableton Live and connecting a Yamaha MODX6. I have most things configured correctly as far as I can tell. I have sound working and have the MODX on USB midi. Been having strange issues with things getting overloaded. For example, I enable a short recording in session record with Ableton. playback of that clip is okay at first until i start input from my MODX to play over top the recorded session clip. No new sound generated can be played once i've triggered the session clip? I see the midi input signal on the top (shown in pic) with Ableton constantly showing 'midi input' when i'm not actively doing a thing. I pulled up Midi monitor (shown in pic) you can see \its like every hundred milliseconds or so transmitting 'active sense'. Read somewhere that might be causing overload but don't know where I can prevent that. From my understanding its the system's way of always checking for input on the 5 pin din midi outputs??
With midi monitoring on I got into the Modx utility settings for Midi I/O. Nothing in there seems to make difference. Actually if i turn 'clock out' to ON i get constant PORT 1 clock messages in midi monitor (shown in pic) non stop transmitting. Is this normal? are these midi transmissions bogging down my DAW? Would greatly appreciate any help

Attachments

• ableton midi.jpg
    ableton midi.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
  • ableton midi 1.jpg
    ableton midi 1.jpg
    289.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Ableton Midi Monitor.jpg
    Ableton Midi Monitor.jpg
    397.2 KB · Views: 7
I realize this is a very specific /narrow issue that most aren't going to have. Here's an update in case anyone runs into a similar situation: turns out the keyboard was faulty. I ruled out all variables. Different USB cables, going direct to computer vs in USB hub etc etc but I picked up a new unit of the Yamaha keyboard i was using and problem gone. The keyboard i was using (recently acquired used) seems to be faulty in the internals with USB processing. Also, realizing that in my experience, Ableton is a lot more sensitive to CPU overloads than Cubase. I had to make a lot of other adjustments like sample size /buffer to keep the CPU in check.

I realize this is a very specific /narrow issue that most aren't going to have. Here's an update in case anyone runs into a similar situation: turns out the keyboard was faulty. I ruled out all variables. Different USB cables, going direct to computer vs in USB hub etc etc but I picked up a new unit of the Yamaha keyboard i was using and problem gone. The keyboard i was using (recently acquired used) seems to be faulty in the internals with USB processing. Also, realizing that in my experience, Ableton is a lot more sensitive to CPU overloads than Cubase. I had to make a lot of other adjustments like sample size /buffer to keep the CPU in check.
I was wondering when you said you were picking up MODX6 in the Oberheim post. I thought you already had one. I was going to comment here, but really couldn’t figure out what realistically could be wrong as far as settings or connection. Makes sense now. Glad you got it worked out.

Your synth posts has me GASing a bit and checking out different synths. I have one old Yamaha EX5 workstation, but have been using VST’s for a long time. I still like the idea of a full standalone sometimes.

I was wondering when you said you were picking up MODX6 in the Oberheim post. I thought you already had one. I was going to comment here, but really couldn’t figure out what realistically could be wrong as far as settings or connection. Makes sense now. Glad you got it worked out.

Your synth posts has me GASing a bit and checking out different synths. I have one old Yamaha EX5 workstation, but have been using VST’s for a long time. I still like the idea of a full standalone sometimes.
thanks. It was driving me nuts so figured the only variable I wasn't accounting for was a problem with the keyboard itself. No wonder it was discounted like that. This past year I've been going back n forth between should I commit fully to using only VST's + midi keyboard or use standalone workstation synth and finally realized I just like having both options. VST's are awesome but if one thing on your computer goes haywire then you're S.O.L. This last week was a good example of that for me. With a standalone you just power on and have loads of sounds ready to go. I quite like the MODX+. This is actually my 3rd one. First I had the MODX8. Sold about 1.5 yr ago and regretted it. then the used MODX61 (non plus) that was causing issues. and now this new MODX61+. I'd really love a Montage but at double the price I"m happy with what the MODX offers.
One thing I'm very curious about is if Yamaha will release anything new at Namm coming up...I've been GASing a lot myself with synths lately . its addictive! SO many cool synths out there

Back
Top Bottom