Midi issue

Well I use preset and scene changes all the time from Ableton. I did use Onsong years ago and I recall some issues with it, but I was just using it for preset changes when I would pull up a song. So I guess what are you using the scene change within Onsong for? I assume you want to load a certain song and have it go to a shared preset, but a specific scene for that song?
Are you using Ableton to change scenes with the FM9? I use OnSong to select the Preset and starting Scene. It works fine with the FM3 and Axe FX III so it definitely isn’t OnSong at fault here.

Are you using Ableton to change scenes with the FM9? I use OnSong to select the Preset and starting Scene. It works fine with the FM3 and Axe FX III so it definitely isn’t OnSong at fault here.

Yes I use ableton to change scenes on the FM9.

As I mentioned, am using BandHelper (very similar to OnSong) and I can select Preset and Scene, but I had to do it differently in BandHelper from the way I am doing it using my FXIII. There is something different in the way FM9 is processing MIDI but it does work.
Have you tried only a Scene change midi in OnSong by itself, no associated preset change?

As I mentioned, am using BandHelper (very similar to OnSong) and I can select Preset and Scene, but I had to do it differently in BandHelper from the way I am doing it using my FXIII. There is something different in the way FM9 is processing MIDI but it does work.
Have you tried only a Scene change midi in OnSong by itself, no associated preset change?
Well this is very interesting. Sending the CC# + Value alone DOES change the Scene (albeit not on the FM9 display as noted earlier in this thread - a known bug). If I put anything before that command - even just a Delay - it doesn't work . . .

Yep, same thing I experienced. Very strange, almost like once it processed the first midi command it ignores the second one. Gotta be a code issue…

BandHelper allows PC and CC in the same midi preset- that’s how I am now getting preset and scene changes to work together in FM9

Yep, same thing I experienced. Very strange, almost like once it processed the first midi command it ignores the second one. Gotta be a code issue…

BandHelper allows PC and CC in the same midi preset- that’s how I am now getting preset and scene changes to work together in FM9
OnSong allows multiple midi commands in the same preset also, but they are sent in the order you list them in. Is BandHelper different somehow?

OnSong allows multiple midi commands in the same preset also, but they are sent in the order you list them in. Is BandHelper different somehow?
It does allow you to specify - send PC, then CC, then raw Hex, then attached presets, etc... and if you want time between them. I have 0.4 sec between sends...

It does allow you to specify - send PC, then CC, then raw Hex, then attached presets, etc... and if you want time between them. I have 0.4 sec between sends...
Interesting. OnSong will do the same. There is more than one way to do it though so I will experiment further. Thanks for your input!

In addition to OnSong on my iPad, I also tried sending midi commands from an Airstep footswitch. Same result - a Scene Change command on it's own works fine, but if it is preceded by a PC command, the FM9 ignores the CC. I can send 2 or 3 CCs and the FM9 will respond to the last one sent (expected behavior).

OK . . . . I believe I have a fix. The FM9 (unlike the FM3 and Axe FX III) seems to need a Delay of at least 500 ms between Midi commands. So, when I send a Midi preset containing a PC (for preset selection) followed by a 500 ms Delay, and then a CC (for Scene change) everything works . . . . It only took two days :p

OK . . . . I believe I have a fix. The FM9 (unlike the FM3 and Axe FX III) seems to need a Delay of at least 500 ms between Midi commands. So, when I send a Midi preset containing a PC (for preset selection) followed by a 500 ms Delay, and then a CC (for Scene change) everything works . . . . It only took two days :p
Hmm.... Michael Pickens mentions a comms slowdown was fixed in FM9Edit for the recent release in the release notes, and it does go a fair bit more smoothly now. I wonder if that shares some common causes with this, since FM9Edit uses MIDI to communicate with the FM9. I still occasionally get things freezing if FM9Edit-ing too quickly, and it is occasionally a little slow to respond to changes in FM9Edit. Maybe the FM9 hardware or firmware has a minor comms issue....

Hmm.... Michael Pickens mentions a comms slowdown was fixed in FM9Edit for the recent release in the release notes, and it does go a fair bit more smoothly now. I wonder if that shares some common causes with this, since FM9Edit uses MIDI to communicate with the FM9. I still occasionally get things freezing if FM9Edit-ing too quickly, and it is occasionally a little slow to respond to changes in FM9Edit. Maybe the FM9 hardware or firmware has a minor comms issue....
Hmmm. Good point. I wonder if Michael could comment. @Admin M@

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom