MIDI issue with Axe-Fx 3 Using Boss ES8 Controller

neale dunham

Experienced
Hi, Ive searched the forum quickly but couldn't see anything related to this specifically,so thought it might be quicker to ask any midi experts out there directly.

So, It seems i'm way down the list for an Fc-12 and wont be getting one anytime soon. The only other unit i have is the Boss Es-8.

On reading the forum it seems guys are having successful results with this unit.

I wired up the es8 to my Axe and have managed to perform preset changes and scene changes but cannot for the life of me work out how to tell the Axe fx using the es8 how to jump to the next preset bank numbers from 128 onwards. For example, Using preset changes from 0-127 works perfectly fine, However, Trying to select preset 129 for instance is not happening??

I have followed what is written in the manual by setting the CC to 0 and using the value to change up banks but either that gives some strange results, for instance, button 2 on the es8 will change up and then not so on the second time of asking even though i have asked preset 1 on the floor-controller to perform the midi bank change.

Have i not configured the axe correctly and if so what do i need to do?

Notes:
I have reset the midi parameters several times and also set the Midi/remote>Other >Scene select value to 34 as this seems to enable the scene selection from the Es8.

Any help most greatly appreciated.

Hey Neale Dunham. I'm afraid I have the same situation here. I have also used my ES-8 to control my AXE 3 and have configured it by mapping it via PC (Example: PC1 - To Preset 0 - To Scene 1, PC2 - To Preset 0 - To Scene 1 and so on). However, by doing so, I have a limited number of presets I can configure as PC's go up to 127. 127 divided by 8 scenes each, it gives me only 15 presets with 8 scenes each. I've been trying to understand if there is a different way to set this up to be more flexible. I just wanted to press Bank Up or Bank Down on my ES-8 to change presets and control Scenes from 1 to 8 within each preset. Any idea or hint is highly appreciated.

Hi Silvio,
I am trying to reach a guy that says he has integrated his Es8 with the Axe. If i hear anything back from him i will share here first.
All the best

i dont know the es8 feature set. I do know you need to do a bank select on the AFX3. bank select is achieved by sending a control change 0 with a value. the value sets the bank - the first bank 1 is set with value 0 aka preset 0-127, bank 2 is value 1 etc... you then need to send a program change for the actual preset. 0 will load the first preset of the bank. eg. PC0 in bank1 = preset 0 and would be preset 128 for bank 2 etc.
you can skip this... if you select a preset within the bank... eg preset 130 from the front panel... then all your subsequent program changes will relate to that bank.

Back
Top Bottom