Midi help?

cragginshred

Fractal Fanatic
I have a midi enabled Marshall head -the HJS Joe Satch head -absolutely killer!
I am trying to figure out how to get my FX8 to change the channels on the Marshall HJS head. I only want to change channels nothing fancy like on/off gate or mid shift.
From the top -going out/thru FX8 to Midi in on HJS head (there is a midi thru option too)
Marshall's manual says press the midi ch button on the front and it blinks then press again and it did not work.

In the Midi block of my FX8 I 'enabled' Prog Change
PC# is this the amp ch I want to access? Marshall manual had other #'s but it is pretty confusing
PC off?
Midi ch?

Then there is the CC page in the block which I assume has nothing to do with what I want.

How do I get the two to communicate?
Will the Midi blocks prevent me from being able to use that block for something else like a phaser or whatever? Lame if so because I need at least 3 blocks for three amp channels.

Or should I be banking to different scenes for ea amp channel?
***Please do not refer me to the manual I need specifics. If you do not have time or the knowledge to answer these questions in full detail please with all respect do not reply.
Thanks!

No experience with either, but is the Marshall using PC or CC for that channel change? That is an important distinction. You'll need to make sure the FX-8 is sending midi out on the same channel that the Marshall is listening for midi in.

Hopefully this gets you started?

You can use Scenes to change midi programs. PC is PROGRAM CHANGE, and CC Continuous Controller. Program change is probably what you want, and you can use scenes instead of blocks to control it.

Is the JVM on the same midi channel (default channel 1) ?
You can reset the JVM to listen to channel 1 by doing the following :
Switch the amplifier off (Power switch, not Standby).
Press and hold the FOOTSWITCH / MIDI PROGRAM switch.
Switch the amplifier on (Power switch).
Release the FOOTSWITCH / MIDI PROGRAM switch, the LED will start to flash.
Send ANY MIDI command using your FX8.
The amplifier will detect which channel came in and configure itself to listen to that MIDI channel only.

check on the midi page of the i/o setup menu, midi channel 1, Prog change On
in stompbox mode go to the cfg page and scroll down to Midi PC and select the desired MIDI PC number (also check your midi channel again on that same page...)

Put your JVM in Midi Program mode and then turn the Value knob to change the PC (say from 0 to 1 as an example) you will transmit that last PC nr to the JVM (midi led flashes rapidly for a few seconds)
Save your preset !

Thanks guys for the replies. The plot thickens when you actually think about using the FX8 live to both switch amp channels and have blocks available to use for effects apart from using 4 difference ones as midi blocks just to change amp ch's (in that case you may as well use the Marshall foot controller) Never the less Sean Strickland ar FAS support has been awesome walking me through this somewhat complex process.

Back
Top Bottom