MIDI Control Question

JeremiahEdward

Inspired
To those who have used MFC-101 to turn on/off another midi capable pedal (I'm assuming the FX8 will work like the MFC):

Is the MFC able to tell whether the device is active or bypassed? I would like to put my Eventide Space in a rack drawer and use the FX8 to turn it on/off.. will the LED on the FX8 correspond to the bypass/active state of the Space? Or does it simply send the CC message and that's it? If not, can a footswitch on the FX8 send a midi command as well as control an effect within the FX8? I could just set up a flat EQ effect that doesn't alter my signal at all and use that as an indicator as to whether the Space is on or off.

I doubt the FX8 will have the MIDI capability to know the state of an external device. That would require SysEx messages that both devices understand.

But what you're asking for is totally possible from what I've read - just use scenes and the Scene footswitch mode. For each scene, you can send PC and/or CC messages, as well as decide which local effects are engaged or bypassed. You can designate a scene for just kicking in your Space, and the footswitch LED for that scene will tell you whether you are on that scene or not. You can also integrate the Space into other scenes within the preset, combining it with internal FX. I plan on doing this with an external loop switcher, so I can engage my external drives per scene.

I think there will also be a MIDI block, which you could assign to one of the 8 slots, and use that to engage the Space. Again, it will have two states (one lit, one unlit) and in the MIDI block parameters you'd configure what MIDI PC/CC messages to send. That way you could use it in Stompbox Mode (where each footswitch is for a single effect).

Back
Top Bottom