midi connections

peaveywolfgang

hello, i just got an axefx ultra and i am new to the midi world. i would like to know what kind of midi-usb interface i need to buy in order to conect the axefx both to my pc for editing and a rocktron midimate controller, and how to connect these. maybe recommend me one, cheap and good (emu, m-audio, esi...)

do i go midi out from the rocktron to the axefx midi in then from the axefx midi out to the interface midi in then thru the usb in the computer? is that it? will this do for the changes made in the axefx pc editor to have effect in the unit itself or there must be another cable back from the computer to the axefx?

thank you

I'm using an M-Audio Midi sport 2X2 anniversary, I think they run around $80. I Have had no issues with it sense I bought new 4 years ago. You have the hookup order right if your uploading presets to your PC. If you want to down load or do a firmware update you need to run in the opposite direction, so computer > USB interface > Midi out > Axe FX Midi in. It's best if you don't have any other devices between the Axe and the interface wile doing data transfers and use a good midi cable, one that makes a positive connection and is made of quality construction.

ok, thank you. is it possible to do all togheter? meaning changing presets/effects with the rocktron, changing settings in the pc editor that are done in the unit itself too and also loading presets, ir's, firmware updates, all with the same setup... what do i need and how do i make the connections?

I haven't been able to keep it all exactly in sync, mostly the editor, but I can test foot controller and Axe together and edit via Axe Edit. (or at least I could before I went from Ultra to II). I used a MOTU MicroExpress I got off Ebay, like this one MOTU MICRO EXPRESS 6 PORT MIDI INTERFACE | eBay The thing that you can do with that one that a lot of the cheaper smaller ones won't do is route to multiple inputs and/or outputs on the interface. So, I could have both the computer and the foot controller going to the Axe while having Axe Edit hooked up to the Axe as well as well as having the software for the foot controller (LF Jr.) hooked up.

As for connections, connect Axe and Rocktron to midi interface. You'll want out/in of Axe to go to in/out of midi interface. Probably only need out from Rocktron to in of midi interface unless that interface has a computer editor you want to use. Connect interface to computer via USB. Within the interface, you want the input from the foot controller routed to the Axe, too. That way you can tweak and save your patches via computer, then make sure they can be controlled properly via the Rocktron without unplugging anything. If you switch patches via editor, they'll be out of sync with Rocktron, so make sure you've saved the patch before hitting a Rocktron button which will change the patch.

Firmware for me was always a bit of a crapshoot. I have several midi interfaces and none of them worked first time every time, but I always got it done eventually.

It wouldn't all stay exactly in sync, but it sure beat the hell out of having to constantly reroute midi cables and rewire things. Those MOTU boxes can be had for the price of a mediocre cheap 2x2 or 1x1 interface and they are WAY more versatile in terms of routing. You can get a piece of software off the MOTU website that allows you to configure the routing of the box.

Last edited:
With a 2x2 interface you won't need a separate merger. The Midisport 2x2 would also let you switch to thru mode and use the footcontroller without Axe-Edit/computer running.

connections.jpg

sorry, i don't understand. is this right? (attachement) for changing presets/effects by foot, editing in the pc editor, saving patches or irs in the unit itself and updates?

Hare is how I did it with the HD500 as a MIDI controller. I used the midiman anniversary addition in midi merge mode. It worked right out of the box and I've had no problems with this setup.

Block-Diagram.jpg

Back
Top Bottom