MIDI Cable/Connection FAQ

kruzty

Inspired
I'd like to start a thread that has information pertaining only to the MFC-101 MIDI connection. I've seen various pieces of information floating around, but it would be nice to have it in one thread for quick reference (and I can update the original post as information becomes available).

• What 7-pin cables are known to work with the MFC-101?
    [list:u7zw4fos]
  • Rocktron[/*:m:u7zw4fos]
  • Guitar-Cable.com (Best-Tronics) 7-pin x 20' MIDI cable[/*:m:u7zw4fos]
[/*:m:u7zw4fos]
[*]What 7-pin cables are known NOT to work with the MFC-101?
  • Hosa[/*:m:u7zw4fos]
[/*:m:u7zw4fos]
[*]Is there a limit to the length of 7-pin cables that should be used (resulting in data/power issues)?
  • Current known longest working cable: 20 ft.[/*:m:u7zw4fos]
  • Current known cable length(s) with issues: ?[/*:m:u7zw4fos]
[/*:m:u7zw4fos][/list:u:u7zw4fos]

I thought a 7 pin cable was a 7 pin cable no matter who makes it, i suppose you can get better cable for signal loss and screening etc.....

Not sure about the max length of cable, i find my 25ft cable does any venue i might play at :D

Hirschmann MAB 7100 S panelmount 7 pin DIN connector is perfect for those that need à solution for their Neutrik D-size holes rack interfaces. Just a heads up.

winger said:
Hirschmann MAB 7100 S panelmount 7 pin DIN connector is perfect for those that need à solution for their Neutrik D-size holes rack interfaces. Just a heads up.

Do you have a recommended vendor for this?

Maybe Octopart or Farnell for the US? '(Not sure since I'm in Europe.)
Definitely Conrad for the Europeans.

Think you can find a lot more vendors through any search engine though.
Perhaps the local Radioshack might even carry them.

Wandering Trees said:
winger said:

Would this work?

http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/264929 ... -70sn.html

if so, would it mount in one of these?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/S12F/
Unfortunately not. The screw heads used for mounting the plug wil be halfway the edge of the pre drilled rack panel.

The MAB 7100 S
42246051.jpg

wil fit in one of these (Neutrik DBA-BL)
2720.jpg

Which in turn is made for those rack panels

NewcastleBrown said:
I thought a 7 pin cable was a 7 pin cable no matter who makes it,

nope. A 7 pin cable may not necessarily have 7 wires. Midi (by default) used 3 wires (one ground and 2 for comms)- however most midi cables have 5 pin plugs. 2 of thoses pins have no wires attached. The same is true of 7 pin. Usually 7 pin cables have 3 wired up for Midi and 2 for phantom power - so 5 of the 7 pins have cables attached.

As far as I understand, the MFC101 needs all 7 wires - one for ground, 2 pairs for two way comms, and one pair for power. if your "7 pin cable" is actually a 5 core cable with 7 pin plugs on the end, the 2 way comms wont work (so no tuner info and no patch name retrieval).

I may be wrong, however I think this is the case. Im happy that the Rocktron cable works as thats what I have - and I havent had the plugs off to see if all 7 pins are connected.

Maybe cliff will chip here and explain what is required with regards pins/cables for the MFC to work.

I can confirm that the Guitar-Cable.com (Best-Tronics) 7-pin x 20' MIDI cable works with the MFC.

However, I did buy a 1/4" TRS to 1/4" Mono "Y" cable, with the intention of connecting two Mission SP-1 pedals to the "switch 1 & 2" jack on the back of the MFC. Apparently, the switch connection on the SP-1 requires a TRS connection too, so I could not make this Y cable work with the toe switches. I tried adjusting all of the momentary, latching, etc. parameters in the MFC under both the MIDI and Patch menus, to no avail. The SP-1's work fine with a single TRS to TRS cable, but this limits you to only 2 external switches on the MFC if you have two expression pedals.

winger said:
Wandering Trees said:
winger said:

Would this work?

http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/264929 ... -70sn.html

if so, would it mount in one of these?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/S12F/
Unfortunately not. The screw heads used for mounting the plug wil be halfway the edge of the pre drilled rack panel.

The MAB 7100 S
42246051.jpg

wil fit in one of these (Neutrik DBA-BL)
2720.jpg

Which in turn is made for those rack panels

Thanks for your help. So I would have to drill a hole in the DBA-BL and then the MAB 7100 S screws on with the silver ring? Sorry for all the questions.

Back
Top Bottom