Midi Buddy

Woland

Inspired
I'm looking for a super compact pedalboard that can be powered via midi.
I'll add an expression pedal directly to the Axe FX
What do you think about the Midi Buddy?
Is that reliable?
Thanks

Hi Woland,
I use the Midi Buddy, it works fine for me and I'm happy with it. I use it phantom powered.

Only thing is, that it has no expression pedals. So I'm thinking about the FCB1010 in addition, so I could try to configure the things to have 10 preset buttons and 10 CC buttons and 2 expression pedals :shock: ...

If you have 1 or 2 expression pedals, I'd try it. If you can live with some numbers instead if preset names on the display.

Micha

look at tech 21s midi mouse and midi mouse, both are battery powered and quite compact. Not the most advanced things in the world but they're reasonably priced and durable.

Thanks guys
I bought yesterday the Midi Buddy.
I'm now stuck with the phantom power issue: how can you do that?
The male power connector on the AF is too big for the midi buddy transformer...
Pls help!
Thanks

Woland said:
Thanks guys
I bought yesterday the Midi Buddy.
I'm now stuck with the phantom power issue: how can you do that?
The male power connector on the AF is too big for the midi buddy transformer...
Pls help!
Thanks
Wow. Where did you get it from and what did you pay?

I'm afraid you have to do some soldering. Look at
http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pdf/man/m_701180.pdf
You must make sure, to get +9VDC - +15VDC power on pin 3 and ground on pin 1 of your midi cable. There are different ways to get there:
1. Make an adapter midi male - midi female with a short cable between and power from a power supply on pin 1 and 3 as stated above (soldered to the female plug). I used this for a long time with no issue.
2. Put your plug of the power supply in the phantom power jack of the AXE and you will get the power on pin 6 and 7 of the 7 pin midi output. Now you need to make sure, that the power on pins 6 and 7 will get to the pins 1 and 3. I solved this with an additional jack, where pins 2+5 are "normally" connected (midi) and 6 and 7 "become" 1 and 3. (7 pin out of AXE to additional 5 pin jack). There I put may standard 5 pin midi cable and get phantom power for the midi buddy now. It works great.

Ok, this was quite on the border of my english skills, so don't hesitate to ask if it's not clear.
Otherwise happy soldering! ;)

Micha

Oh man...
I should have bought the Tech21!
First of all, I don't have the skills, nor I know somebody that can make it for me. Secondly, the transformer imput jack doesn't even fit in the power imput of the AF...
This is sooooooooo bad.
By the way I found it new and I payed 129 euro

Woland said:
Oh man...
I should have bought the Tech21!
These 3 buttons wouldn't fit my needs ...
Woland said:
First of all, I don't have the skills, nor I know somebody that can make it for me.
Do some research. There must be someone who can do that for you. Where are you from?
Woland said:
Secondly, the transformer imput jack doesn't even fit in the power imput of the AF...
I would keep that original transformer to have it as backup in the case, that the phantom power doesn't work for some reason.
Woland said:
This is sooooooooo bad.
Nothing is really bad if you managed to get an AXE-FX. ;)
Woland said:
By the way I found it new and I payed 129 euro
Thanks for the info.
Don't give up!
Micha

Hi Micha,
I just noticed that my MidiBuddy has a 7 pin connector, because is a new unit.
I did some research as you suggested, it seems that all I need to do it to buy a power adapter because the supplied adapter wouldn't fit into the Phantom jacks on the AF, then if I use a 7 pin midi cable everything should be ok...
I'll keep you posted
thanks

Back
Top Bottom