Midi amp switching problems

Severed

Fractal Fanatic
I thought I found my answer but didnt... still need some help

The short : using a real amp, I want instant amp channel switching to happen from the Axe-Fx using the MFC101. Not sure what the problem is but it's not instant and I haven't had any success.

I have
Axe-fx II mkII
Mfc101 mkII
I'm connected via cat5 cable.(not faslink or midi)

From the Axe-fx II's thru/out, I'm using 5pin midi cable into a EVH 5150 III. It's the new 2018 model with concentric pots. Tested with other controllers and its included footswitch, switching is instant.

I'm running a 4cm setup.

On the mfc I'm using axe fx mode, and using switches 1- 4 for presets.

I've programmed the EVH 5150 to accept PC on midi channel 2 and to be green (amp channel 1) on preset 1 (IA1), blue (amp channel 2) on 2 and 3, a red (amp channel 3) on 4. Using any of my other midi controllers or the amps footswitch, switching is instant.

Using the MFC through the axe fx, there Is a lag where I'll get a slight burst of increased volume followed by a slight gap, then the amp changes channels... I didnt measure it but is long enough that it's pretty much impossible to use it this way live without physically stopping playing for a second to change presets/channels.

I've also just bought mfc-edit to see if I could have better success programming by turning off everything (the entire midi string) except the program change, but nothing I've tried has helped and to be honest I'm kind of lost on what the issue is as it seems like this is not the mfc, but the axe fx.

My Axe-Fx presets; all 4 are identically layed out in the grid, even the blocks are the all the same types atm and I'm not using any amps or cabs. There should be no processing or loading latency between presets as nothing different is loading.

CPU on every preset is 60%

USB is disconnected

If you have any suggestions I'm all ears! Or if its just how the axe is and no way to get around this it would be nice to know too.

Thanks for anyones time!
Dwayne

Last edited:
Hi there, Severed,
I have had the same problem myself. I e-mailed Fractal about it six or seven years ago. It seems that when the MFC is in AxeFx mode it first takes take of all the communication between MFC and AxeFx (updating the MFC switches and LED:s with the current AxeFx effects status) and then sends the regular midi messages to all your other devices. So, when you use your Fractal rig with other midi equipment you'd better change it from AxeFx mode to Midi mode in the MFC setup menu. You lose ability to see the AxeFx effects status on the MFC LED:s and programming becomes a bit more tedious but one the other hand you can use you system without sounding like you miss your sound changes by a beat:)
This helps a lot but it does not become perfect. My old Rocktron AllAccess still beats the MFC there. What I haven't had time to try is to (still in Midi mode) let my amp switcher live on midi channel 1 and the AxeFx on a higher channel number, say #2, to see if the order has any impact on communication time. Please try it and report back if you do.

Good luck,
Klas

Yes thanks man!

I've actually been playing around alot with several configs and still no luck... but yes always in Axe-Fx mode... and I was thinking this might be the problem... today I'm doing resets and programming as straight up midi controller. Will post my findings.

I've also been looking into adding a custom msg and using scenes instead of presets but I've not gotten there yet.

Also, I'll do a video or soundclip and post as it seems without this, no one really understands the severity of this issue.

Thanks.

So I spent another couple hours programming the MFC in various configurations. Tried everything suggested as well as a few other idea's and nothing helped,

Then I decided to try a 5 pin Midi cable in conjunction with "Axe-fx mode: none" and program PC's on top of scenes... however, I never got there as once using the 5 midi cable, I first tested to make sure the connection worked, and found that not only did the connection work, it completely resolved the issue I was having.

So now I have my setup in axe-fx II mode and instant switching of the EVH 5150III, and I took it to rehearsal last night and it worked properly with near seamless/gapless switching.

I'll really try to get a video / sound sample up asap.

Back
Top Bottom