Microphone & guitar simultaneously w/ Axe-Fx II?

Pelikanen

Inspired
Is it possible to plug a microphone (a Shure SM7B, so no phantom power needed) into the Axe-Fx and then play guitar through it at the same time? If this is the case how do I do it? Do I use the jack inputs in the back (Input 1)?

No - you need a mic preamp in between. Especially for the SM7B which needs a lot of gain.

i do this. I send my vocals through the Axe FX 2 to add midi controlled delay effects.

An SM57 works fairly well connected directly with an XLR to jack adapter.
But to avoid noise, especially with the SM7B, it's best to get a preamp.
I use this thing: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=OMNITRONIC+LH-045&_sacat=0

Cool guys. I have plugged in a SM58 with a XLR to jack adapter now into input 1 L/Mono in the back of the Axe. I'm not getting any sound whatsoever, no level meters are moving anywhere. I'm only connected through USB now, using my Axe as my sound device, monitoring through headphones from the phone jack on the front panel.

Edit: Nevermind for now. I think I got this. Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
You should be connecting to Input 2, or set your Input 1 to "Rear", because it's currently just listening to the front input.

You should be connecting to Input 2, or set your Input 1 to "Rear", because it's currently just listening to the front input.

Aight. The way I'm going to do this now is I've plugged the SM58 into Input 1 L/mono and the guitar on Input 1 R, used L+R Sum on Input 1 t get them in mono and for guitar I'll use an old Zoom PS-02 (haha, can't believe it). The mic signal shows almost as loud as the guitar signal but I don't hear it nearly as loud. Is there another way to set it up so I can have the signal of the mic completely clean while using the amps/cabs/etc in the Axe on my guitar signal?

Edit: I don't have a mic pre except for the Zoom, but I want to use it for distortion.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom