Mic up or AXE FX to FOH

Pete

Inspired
Just wondering how many still prefer to mic their cab or if more and more are choosing to run a line from their AXE to the front of house mixer for their off stage sound. I've always Mic'd my 4x12's but then again I've never owned a device that looks to be so capable.

Directly to FOH here. no cabs on stage, using inears
Can't be more happy

Just wondering how many still prefer to mic their cab or if more and more are choosing to run a line from their AXE to the front of house mixer for their off stage sound. I've always Mic'd my 4x12's but then again I've never owned a device that looks to be so capable.

I'm running a line to FOH, while having a poweramp and guitar cabs on stage.

But it depends on how you dial in your sound.
If your poweramp and 4x12s are part of your sound, you probably don't use cab sims and you need to mic the cabs.
To run a direct line you need to use power amp simulation and cab simulation.

Not exactly the same, since I run FRFR with a K10, but I can recommend running direct to PA.
Just did two gigs each with a 30 sec. sound check and good sound out front :)

Jens

I always run through a stereo power amp and a stereo 4x12, 2x SM57's L/R to the desk. Sounds perfect (for me). It's an old argument, and its okay to listen to lots of advice. The more the better, try every option. Just do what suits you best, and you will be playing and sounding as good as ever. Good luck, and all the best!

Hi Pete,

I connect mine straight to the PA via Output 1, and to a personal stage monitor ( if I need to ) via Output 2. This gives you total control and you can change your stage volume without affecting FOH, and the other stage monitor feeds.

Most PA guys will be totally happy with this.

It would be beneficial for you to run and set up your rack connected in a large room/hall on your own and adjust your tone if you can. It always sounds different in a big room/space as compared to your bedroom and then you can finesse the tone that you thought was always there. I love to set up at the desk itself and listen to the tone as if I was in the audience. If you EQ it flat through the desk to set your tones, when it comes to playing a gig, you can tell the PA Operator to run it flat, and even if he tweaks it a little to his taste, hopefully it will still sound just like you imagined it would.

The other thing is that sometimes PA guys will want to blend a bit of both into the mix, by having a direct feed and a microphone on the monitor. It depends on what they are used to.

Always ask for feedback on how it sounds as well, as you may get some helpful tips.

Mic

I have been having great success running direct to FOH and to my amp/2-2x12s on stage. The last few gigs I have been able to get out in front and listen and make some adjustments. I am gettin a great sound and the whole band is pretty much floored with the difference from my old rig. I thought about also running a mic and blending it. After all, it is all about the guitar player right:lol

If your poweramp and 4x12s are part of your sound, you probably don't use cab sims and you need to mic the cabs.
If your poweramp is neutral and your cabs are part of the sound you can use the same cab IR on all your presets.

Having a reliable and consistent sound on front is priceless!

Hey Racetra,

Not sure if it all about the guitar player or all about the PA Operator.....it is amazing how different it can all sound depending on who is at the desk, and the techniques applied. We have had quite a few different PA Operators from the kid who looks like he has just come in from the street to the wouldbe professional who, if only luck went his way, he would be touring with Guns and Roses all year long - that's how good 'I' am..... I think some PA guys think that if there is 48 channels at the desk, then they all should be used - no point having spares...

Now, all jokes aside, it pays to get along with the PA operator as they can make you sound great or terrible - but if you know what you want, and have prepared accordingly then all you can do is leave it up to them and do your best.

Mic

Back
Top Bottom