Mic preamp colorization with cabinet simulations

guitarsrule

Inspired
I am curious as to what differences there are in shooting a cab ir with different mic preamps? Obviously a R121 sounds a lot different if you send it through a UA tube, Great River, Grace pre..etc..I was always curious why the colorization of different (popular) mic preamps are not included in most IR librarys. I would just think especially getting into finer resolution cab ir's you would really be able to hear differences in the colors of preamps used to mic a cabinet.

The Mic sims of the Axe are basicly remainders of an old concept that got discarded several updates ago. That's why half of the factory cabs now are Mix IRs with pre-defined mics.
I think Cliff just decided that adding additional mic sims was not worth the trouble and that it was easier to just capture a great IR with a fixed colored mic and preamp instead of micing neutral. And I agree here. Why should I bother about mic selection and position when there's IRs done by professionals that know what they're doing and do the job for me with mix IRs?

What I'm trying to say is: it can be done, but it's basicly the same as with mic sims - it's easier to just get them baked right into the IR.

The Fractal audio producer pack 1 has three versions of IR's: Neve, Fearn and Massenburg preamps. Ownhammer has some other top class gear.

Last edited:
I just read the producer pack notes and did see those pre's you mention. I didn't realize there were at least 3 different types of pre's used. Was always curious though like with different power amps, mics if (mic pre's) could modeled in the axe. As the previous post mentions it must be more accurate baking them into the IR as the mics are now.

Back
Top Bottom