MFC's pretty expensive

scruffydoo

Inspired
not trying to whip up a storm, just an observation, the MFC's a big g over here in Aus which is well over a third of an Axe II, even in the US it seems expensive compared to say, a ground control. Considering it's just a controller (compared to the axe which does so much) the cost just doesn't compute. Just my moan.

Does the GCP have as many buttons as the MFC?

Does the GCP display the tuner as well?

Does the GCP have 2 extra ports for 2 button footswitches and 4 expression pedal ports?

Does the GCP display the patch name on the display?

Does the GCP have a blinking LED indicator to indicate current tap tempo, and whether or not an effect is active within a patch?

The buttons, plus the extra possible dual 4 button footswitch and 4 expression pedal ports is nearly DOUBLE the ground control pro's possible buttons, not including the features mentioned above. The Rocktron All access, which was considered the "king" before the MFC was around $1000.

Double the funtionality for double the price...

No one is forcing you to buy one... If you don't need it, don't buy it?

and its chinese. I agree that its overpriced for what it is AND for what it does... but I just got mine today :) and it is awesome!!

@Reincaster. Slow down chief.... like I said it's just an observation

No one is forcing you to read it.

Mine was an observation as well... "chief". Simply a list of what the MFC does over the GCP (which is more than half the price of the MFC). If you wanted the same amount of expression ports and external buttons, you would have to buy TWO GCP's, and you still wouldn't have the Axe Fx specific functions.

As for it being overpriced, as mentioned earlier, the Rocktron all access, which I saw as the most widely used controller prior to the MFC, costs around $1000 USD. A product is "overpriced" if there is another product that does the same job for less, correct? I have been searching, and have not found a product that does, outside of one that is made at home and programmed using an arduino/teensy/highlyliquid chip.

Last edited:
i agree its pretty pricey. i thought and researched the alternatives, and then thought some more, then researched. Then after thinking and researching some more, i bought one yesterday. Haha..

I always though the MFC-101 was over priced and bought a GCP, which IMHO is a great value controller and VERY easy to program.... But ultimately was not enough for what I needed... There were a few frustrations for me.

So I upgraded to the MFC -101 and apart from the ease of programming have not looked back... It is FAR more flexible than the GCP and if you start to look at the features you get with the MFC and compare to the other devices such as the access all areas etc it starts to look good value IMHO.... BUT value is in the beholder.... Will you use the features.... Do you need them?

The GCP is a very good controller, but the MFC-101 is better IMHO.

I have a GCP and it's a good controller ... I bought it when I had an Ultra and it covered most bases. However, now I'm on Axe2 I find that I'm a bit short on IA switches - so it's MFC 101 time for me soon I reckon. (I'm concentrating on updating amplification & Cabs to FRFR at the moment)

It depends really on how you prefer to use the presets on your Axe. If you want to take full use of your FX blocks and X/Y capabilities then it's worth the money I reckon because you get the extra benefit of the inbuilt 'AxeFX mode' as well as the necessary additional IA options.

If you organise your presets to be just set 'sounds' and just want to increment through them then any half decent midi controller will do that for you.

I would say that you are comparing a lower end model to a higher one. The GCP is VERY limited compared to other modern controllers. Compare the features. Now Compare the features of the MFC to other controllers with similar features.
It is very commutative. Pricey, perhaps; but, with in its class it the cost really does compute.

If the GCP has all the functions you desire and you like its large form factor, then you should go with it.
However, if you require even moderate configurability from the foot control, the GCP may not be a good fit.

I bought the MFC-101 because Fractal makes it. Given their customer service and support (and because I want to support them) and track record for firmware upgrades, I didn't consider alternatives. The depth of features was a given. I trusted that it was priced fairly, because that's how they do.

"No one was ever fired for buying Fractal." Or something like that.

I would say that you are comparing a lower end model to a higher one.

I probably didn't get the point of the post over too well, it wasn't meant to be a feature comparison with GCP (of which I've had a few in the past and know them well) or any other controller, it was merely to say I think the price point is expensive, this is bearing in mind an actual axe II with it's enormous features is $2600 so asking another $1000 for an MFC just seems pretty heavy. I'm pretty confident the thought flashed across most peoples minds who bought one or are considering one.

I've loads of experience in bringing new products from manufacture to market and irrespective of who you are, how good the product is or what the accessory is, customers always feel slightly hosed when main product accessories are priced high, this can leave a negative affect on a whole range and is typically evidenced by buyers mooching off to find cheaper alternatives, if it was better priced they'd sell one with every unit guaranteed... just my 0.2c, that'll be 0.3c here :)

Depends though if you compare like for like... I think that the MFC is good value.... There are more expensive controllers that would not integrate so well.

An expensive meal can be great "value" in the scheme of things.... But is very expensive when compared to McDonalds... Both have nutritional value (good or bad) and perform a function of getting calories into you..... Just depends on what you want / need / can afford.

For it price the the GCP is hard to beat... IMHO.

For integration and functionality at its price the MFC-101 is hard to beat..... IMHO

Thank you for the lesson. From now on we will run our business according to the consensus of 4 out of 5 people in each forum thread.

In that case...

Fractal Products should come with a free subscription to a Beer of the Month Club. I'm sure I can get 5 people to agree with me!

In that case...

Fractal Products should come with a free subscription to a Beer of the Month Club. I'm sure I can get 5 people to agree with me!

Agreed

I like Dunkel Weissbeer.

Thanks

6 pm tonight ok for drop off, please make sure they are cold and some nice snacks would be good too.

Back
Top Bottom