MFC101 MkIII with RJM effects gizmo-possible?

Billbill

Power User
Is it possible to control the RJM Effects Gizmo with the MFC101 MkIII?? I’m running 6-8 pedals in independent loops with switcher but didn’t buy a dedicated controller for the RJM. Should note that I’m running whatever FW was stock on both my AxeFx 2 and the MFC circa 2015, not sure if the RJM will require me to update stuff which I don’t do. If possible can someone send a link to instructions on how to configure the MFC on doing this please. Not sure what kind of midi cable I’ll need to buy also not sure if the way my MFC is currently setup (bank size 0, IAs 1-5 are scenes), if I’ll have to switch it to something else. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Is it possible to control the RJM Effects Gizmo with the MFC101 MkIII?? I’m running 6-8 pedals in independent loops with switcher but didn’t buy a dedicated controller for the RJM. Should note that I’m running whatever FW was stock on both my AxeFx 2 and the MFC circa 2015, not sure if the RJM will require me to update stuff which I don’t do. If possible can someone send a link to instructions on how to configure the MFC on doing this please. Not sure what kind of midi cable I’ll need to buy also not sure if the way my MFC is currently setup (bank size 0, IAs 1-5 are scenes), if I’ll have to switch it to something else. Any info is greatly appreciated.
Hi Billbill !!! I was involved in program de MFC101 MKIII to control my AxeFx3 and I just follow some tutorials and instructions also have lo read a bit for MIDI programming and the MIDI Guide of the MFC to achieve my goal... your case is in certain way different than mine but anyway the MFC is a great MIDI controller, is not the dumb FC6 and FC12 where all the work is made by the Axe...

I think what you are trying to do is to use those pedals through the Gizmo controlled via MIDI which I don't think is that complex at all, but if you know a little bit of MIDI programming and understand everything about the messages that are sent through it, it won't be too hard to do. Unfortunately I can't help you more because I only managed to change the scenes, banks and uncheck the different fx's blocks within a certain scene or preset in my AxeFx3, which still takes time and reading the MFC manual I highly recommend you because I think your case will be even easier.

As for the MIDI cable, a 5 pin MIDI cable will be enough, put in the output of the MFC and the input of the Gizmo...

Try to check also de MFC Edit to do some programming on it

Regards,
Roland

pd: just try to put the 5 Pin MIDI cable from MFC to the Gizmo and change some presets or deactivate some fx's blocks and let me know what's happening

Definitely yes. The effect Gizmo can be controlled by MIDI, and the MFC-101 is a very flexible and powerful MIDI controller.
Just turn off Axe-Fx Mode to make sure it isn't trying to connect to a Fractal Audio product.

Turn off AxeFx mode from the MFC101? I still want to use my MFC101 to control my AxeFx too though.
You can have any given switch set to Axfx Mode for automated use with Ax2, OR set as a general use IA switch (Axefx=None in MFC midi menu) for manual use with either Ax2 or external devices. Sounds like you'd benefit from giving the manual a read.

Last edited:
You can have any given switch set to Axfx Mode for automated use with Axfx2, OR set as a general use IA switch in Axfx Mode = None. Sounds like you'd benefit from giving the manual a read.
I tried. Manuals are complicated when one has very little experience programming MIDI devices but I’m sure I’ll figure it out- I figured out how to set IAs 1-5 = scenes and I scroll through presets with the up/down buttons. And set some IAs to be specific blocks. But with the RJM getting devices to work together is more in-depth.

I’m not sure if how I imagine it setup with the pedals is possible such as keeping the MFC the way I already have it setup and just hitting a single switch to sort of like “page” over so then I’ll know IAs 6-15 be all the pedals in rack. Is that possible? I don’t want to chase a ghost if that’s not how it’s typically setup with external boxes/switchers.

I tried. Manuals are complicated when one has very little experience programming MIDI devices but I’m sure I’ll figure it out- I figured out how to set IAs 1-5 = scenes and I scroll through presets with the up/down buttons. And set some IAs to be specific blocks. But with the RJM getting devices to work together is more in-depth.

I’m not sure if how I imagine it setup with the pedals is possible such as keeping the MFC the way I already have it setup and just hitting a single switch to sort of like “page” over so then I’ll know IAs 6-15 be all the pedals in rack. Is that possible? I don’t want to chase a ghost if that’s not how it’s typically setup with external boxes/switchers.
Not sure what you mean by "page over", but it's pretty straight forward to get any switch to send CCs or PCs on any channel - just set the switch to Axfx=None in the MFC midi menu and set the CC and channel for the switch to whatever your external device is looking for - Read the related section in the nanual about "General Use IAs".

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean by "page over", but it's pretty straight forward to get any switch to send CCs or PCs on any channel - just set the switch to Axfx Mode None in the midi menu and set the CC and channel for the switch to whatever you external device is looking for - Read the section in the nanual about General Purpose IAs.
Now that’s the type of detailed direction I’m looking for, thank you my friend! I’ll read it now. Oh and what I meant by “page over” on the MFC was keeping it functioning like I have it; 1-5=scenes, and all the rest are on/off for blocks in some presets. Page over I meant being able to reassign the IA functions to trigger pedals on my rack instead of them work only for blocks on the grid, if that makes sense lol

To have a switch work for both Ax2 and RJM (with the switch in Axefx=None Mode in MFC midi menu), you'll need to assign a CC to the effect in Ax2 (ctrl menu in Ax2). In the MFC switch options (MFC midi menu) you'll see two sets of CC parms available (c1/c2): one could be used for the Ax3 effect, and the other for the RJM toggle (both will fire simultaneously). A downside to having a switch in Axefx=None mode is that it will not retain state as easily with Axefx across scenes (solvable using Preset mapping but that's a whole other story), and the switch will not be able to display the red indicator meaning "effect not avaialable in the current Ax2 preset".

As an overall strategy, you may consider having the RJM set up to respond to the same CCs/Channel as the Ax2 so that only one set of Midi parms is needed per switch. To handle the "either use Ax2 or RJM fx" logic, you could consider maybe having a mixer block in the grid, switching between either a row containing the FXLoop out to the RJM, or another row containing Ax2 fx (an IA switch would need to be dedicated to controlling the mixer block selection for: "Use RJM fx" or "Use Ax2 Fx").

Last edited:
To have a switch work for both Ax2 and RJM (with the switch in Axefx=None Mode in MFC midi menu), you'll need to assign a CC to the effect in Ax2 (ctrl menu in Ax2). In the MFC switch options (MFC midi menu) you'll see two sets of CC parms available (c1/c2): one could be used for the Ax3 effect, and the other for the RJM toggle (both will fire simultaneously). A downside to having a switch in Axefx=None mode is that it will not retain state as easily with Axefx across scenes (solvable using Preset mapping but that's a whole other story), and the switch will not be able to display the red indicator meaning "effect not avaialable in the current Ax2 preset".

As an overall strategy, you may consider having the RJM set up to respond to the same CCs/Channel as the Ax2 so that only one set of Midi parms is needed per switch. To handle the "either use Ax2 or RJM fx" logic, you could consider maybe having a mixer block in the grid, switching between either a row containing the FXLoop out to the RJM, or another row containing Ax2 fx (an IA switch would need to be dedicated to controlling the mixer block selection for: "Use RJM fx" or "Use Ax2 Fx").
Thanks for the detailed breakdown and great setup ideas. I think I’m just gonna buy the RJM LT foot switcher and have that beside my MFC for an easier setup. New question; how does the switcher connect to AxeFx and Matrix poweramp is it just a midi cable from RJM effect gizmo to AxeFx midi in? Is there a midi block in AxeFx2 that tells the RJM where on the grid the pedal would be?

Thanks for the detailed breakdown and great setup ideas. I think I’m just gonna buy the RJM LT foot switcher and have that beside my MFC for an easier setup. New question; how does the switcher connect to AxeFx and Matrix poweramp is it just a midi cable from RJM effect gizmo to AxeFx midi in? Is there a midi block in AxeFx2 that tells the RJM where on the grid the pedal would be?
I don't have RJM and am no expert on it, but I'd guess Ax2 Out2 > RJM EG In (with pedals in RJM Loops), and RJM Out > Ax2 Input 2. For Matrix it's just Ax2 Output 1 to Matrix Input.

Another quick question; after reading the MFC101 mk3 manual I’m wondering, can “AxeFx Mode” for the IAs be set on a per switch basis or is it every switch? Reason I’m asking is because I only use bottom 1-5 for scenes and up/down scroll through presets. I’d like to be able to set all the other switches as gen midi control for rack pedals instead of buying more gear.

I’m wondering, can “AxeFx Mode” for the IAs be set on a per switch basis or is it every switch?
Per Switch - Each switch can be set to "Axefx=None" for general purpose IA (ie to send CCs/PCs to external gear), or "Axefx=(choose from list of fx)" to use the switch in Axfx mode with the more automated state tracking of the switch across scenes/presets and availability of the red "effect available" indicator. This per switch mode setting in MFC is separarate from the global "Axefx Mode" MFC setting which determines whether the MFC will operate overall in an enhanced mode more directly compatible with Axfx2 via RJ45, or, whether the MFC will operate as a generic midi foot controller operating via the standard midi connections (I use my MFC as a generic midi controller (global MFC setting "AxefxMode=None") with my Axefx3 via standard midi cables and all switches configured manually as general purpose IAs (all switches set to "Axefx=None"))

Last edited:
Per switch? That’s great to hear! I only configured 1-7 for the AxeFx so all the rest I can configure to switch pedals. Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom