MFC Sending Unexplained Midi Signals to Axe FX

Big Joe Daddy

Experienced
Axe FX II Original - Firmware Quantum 1.01
MFC 101 Mark III - Firmware 3.08
(2) Mission SP1-R Pedals - XP1 & XP2
XA-1 FASLINK Adapter

On two separate occasions recently, I've experienced some unwanted midi instructions being sent from my MFC to the Axe FX. I read on some older threads of others experiencing similar issues but these threads were from 3 or 4 years ago and were resolved with updated firmware releases for the MFC. As mentioned, I'm running v3.08 on the MFC-101 Mark III.

While using the VU meters on the Utility screen of the front panel, I was setting the output level on several of my presets. Things got weird when I was lowering the amp block output level yet the actual level was increased. Then I noticed the 'Midi In' light on the front panel of the Axe FX was going on and off continually. Digging a little deeper I found a Mixer block I had linked (External 1) to the Mission expression pedal on XP1 seemed to isolate the source of the problem as XP1 where the Mission pedal was connected. Opening the Mixer block while in Axe Edit revealed that the levels in the Mixer block were changing up and down continually, even though I wasn't touching the MFC. I checked the controller settings to see if somehow the controller source had been changed to an LFO or some other controller that could cause this to happen, but it was all configured as originally set with the 'External 1' as the source.

Unplugging the MFC from the Axe FX immediately stopped the unwanted midi input signal. A couple of nights ago when this happened for the first time, it was late and I just shut everything off and went to bed. When I started it up the next day it worked fine. I thought maybe it was a heat issue since I'd had the Axe FX and MFC running all day. Then tonight the problem reappeared.

In the other threads I read about all sorts of remedies, including pulling the TRS cable from the Mission pedal to the MFC XP1 jack and reseating it. I thought that was a long shot but I tried it anyway and low and behold it seems to have worked. :?

So for now it seems to be working fine. I'm just worried that I haven't really corrected the problem and that it will reoccur while playing a gig. Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated.
Joe

First off, thank you for describing all the components of your set up. That really, really helps.

I feel I've read some weird things happening with the FASlink adapters recently. Can you try connecting the two without it?

First off, thank you for describing all the components of your set up. That really, really helps.

I feel I've read some weird things happening with the FASlink adapters recently. Can you try connecting the two without it?

Chris,
Since I pulled and reseated the TRS cable from the Mission pedal to the MFC, I've not been able to reproduce the error. So I think I'll wait until it happens again to try bypassing the FASlink.
Thanks,
Joe

Back
Top Bottom