MFC not powering up suddenly

Wildwind

Experienced
I just gigged with it yesterday and ran it for hours on Saturday. Almost 5 years in, zero problems.

Now suddenly it won't light up at all when I power up the Axe-Fx. I'll try to find another RJ45 (recent move, can't find some things...), but wanted to get this out there.

Thanks!

Just opened up the back of the rack - (using Vafam term panel, so cover usually stays in place) - I can smell something that strikes me as a shorted something or other. Any clues?

Will try running it with a MIDI cable and see if the MFC lights up.

Sorry for the commentary...

Have you tried just using the MFC power supply to see if the MFC lights up? Just to quickly rule out that it's definitely not the MFC at fault.

The burning smell in your rack though ....... doesn't sound that good.

Any chance something in the rack like a rolled up packed away power lead or cable has been pushed up against the back of the Vafam panel and damaged/shorted the wiring in the rj45 socket or caught and strained the tail at either end?

MFC does light up with its power supply. 5-pin MIDI sort of works - got a timeout, which I haven't pursued. The display only showed my Scenes in the second row but no presets.

I plugged the RJ45 straigh into the Axe-Fx - nothing.

I did submit a ticket moments ago and am searching the web. AFX is working fine.

MFC does light up with its power supply. 5-pin MIDI sort of works - got a timeout, which I haven't pursued. The display only showed my Scenes in the second row but no presets.

I plugged the RJ45 straigh into the Axe-Fx - nothing.

I did submit a ticket moments ago and am searching the web. AFX is working fine.
Did you change it to use midi port instead of EtherCon?

IIRC, it's fairly easy to short out the Ethernet port on the Axe by accidentally plugging in a USB cable there. Or otherwise putting something in there that shores the pins. Sounds like that might have happened to your Axe. A midi cable should still work fine provided the settings on the Axe and MFC are correct.
-
Austin

Back
Top Bottom