MFC Edit for Controlling Axe II, Keyboard, and Drum Pad Sampler

ILM4Axe

Hi to everyone. Recently I posted an inquiry asking for some advice on controlling multiple devices on stage with the MFC. Simeon and DtownSMR were kind enough to talk me through the basics, and recommended I take a look at MFC Edit. So I download the demo, read the manual for the program, and reread the MFC manual. I still had some technical questions about implantation, so I sent a private message to Gary, the author of MFC Edit. I was so impress that he took the time to thoroughly answer all my questions, that I thought I should share in case others in the community could benefit, or looking for a similar solution for stage control. So, below is the post. Thanks again, Gary. I look forward to diving into MFC Edit and the MFC and put an end to all the tap dancing and hurried patch changes on stage.

Quote Originally Posted by ILM4Axe
Hi Gary,
I'm Jim. I downloaded your demo and will definitely be buying the program.

I think my goal is pretty basic, but I just want to make sure I'm putting things in the right place in the program. I've never used Song mode on the pedal, but after reading your posts, the MFC manual, and the MFC Edit manual, I think thats the way to go for me. I am in a cover band, and I want to assign different patches for my Axe II, a Korg X50 Keyboard, and a Roland SPX drum pad sampler that we use for embellishment on the songs.

So I want to accomplish this:

Song 1: Axe patch 12, Korg patch 214, Roland patch 34
Song 2: Axe patch 45, Korg patch 13, Roland patch 98

So on and so forth....

Currently my MFC is in Axe FX II, Preset Mode I guess. For my needs should I change that setting to None, and Song Mode? And, should I program the Korg and Roland patches in the Program Change row or the Presets & Ext. Devices tab, and assign my Axe II patches in the Int. CC & Change Maps folder somewhere, or do the Axe II patches also go in the Program Change row of the Presets & Ext. Devices folder?

Sorry for the silly questions. I'm a total newb and its even difficult to articulate the proper question. All I want to do is select an MFC preset in Song Mode, and have my 3 devices all change to the patches that I have assigned them.

Thanks for any advice you may have. I'm sure your time is limited and I value that very much.

Hi Jim;
I know exactly what you mean by having difficulty even articulating this stuff. I've come to the conclusion that we've reached a point in society where technology advances at a quicker pace than language with the result that our vocabulary is inadequate for even rudimentary daily communication.

But your understanding is correct and you are to be commended. Your questions are not silly at all and rather pertinent. The Axe-Fx doesn't respond to the Program Change table changes. By default, the MFC-101 will send the same PC# to the Axe-Fx as the number of the MFC-101 Preset. When you select MFC-101 Preset #10 it sends PC 10 to the Axe-Fx by default. You can override this behavior by using the Axe-Fx Preset Transmit Map feature in the MFC-101, also found on the INT.CC & CHANGE MAPS page of the MFC-Edit program. If, when you select MFC-Edit Preset #12, you don't want Patch/Preset #12 in the Axe-Fx then locate column 12 in the Transmit Map table and enter the number of the Axe-Fx Preset that you do want. You might want to use this powerful feature judiciously - it gets really difficult to maintain and remember as time passes and it can become a nightmare if you have many of these mappings.

Let me see if I can answer your questions:
Make sure that your Axe-Fx II is listening on MIDI Channel 1 only.
Make sure that your Roland and Korg are each listening on their own MIDI channel.
It doesn't really matter what the Bank size is - all that defines for you is how many footswitches will be IA/Effect switches and how many will select a preset within the current bank. For example, I have my Bank Size set to 3. You won't be using any switches at all in SONG mode for selecting Presets. (Actually, you could, but for the sake of this response you won't need them)
Add each of your (up to 100 songs) to the SONGS page in MFC-Edit and set only the first Preset # of each song to a Preset # in the MFC-101.
Go to the PRESETS & EXT.DEVS page of MFC-Edit, select the Preset # from the drop-down list to the left or from the spin-box to the right of the the Preset name. Rename it to something indicative of what it actually is.
For that Preset, enter the PC (Program Change) command for the Roland and Korg in the Program Change table at the foot of the PRESETS & EXT.DEVS page into their respective columns. Based on your example above, you would select Preset # 12 on the PRESETS & EXT.DEVS page in MFC-Edit. You would then enter "214" into the column corresponding to the Korg's MIDI channel. If the Korg is listening on MIDI channel 4, for example, you'd enter "214" into column number 4 of the Program Change table. Assuming that the Roland is listening on MIDI channel 5, you would enter the number "34" into column number 5 of the Program Change table. As you can see, you can send up to 16 different PC commands to 16 MIDI channels when you select any given preset.
I recommend that you also use the MIDI & PEDAL page of MFC-Edit to enter the name of each MIDI device you're connecting to the MFC-101 so that you don't get confused.

The good news and the bad news is that there is more than one way to skin a cat. You can do these things in a number of ways but, especially if you're new to it keep it simple as described above.

-Gary

Back
Top Bottom