MFC and MIDI at the same time

pamisano

Inspired
So I got the Mi.1 bluetooth midi. Used it at a small gig, used it in rehearsals, works great. So last night, had a bigger gig, and I used both the MFC and the Mi.1. My intent was to use Songlistmaker with the Mi.1 to select songs, sending the preset change to the AxeFx, so I don't have to rearrange my presets for every gig, and then use the MFC to switch to lead patches and manipulate effects. Holy cow the AxeFx did not like that. Now I have not done any testing to determine if the issue was Bluetooth interference, what with 100+ folks in the bar potentially all having smart phones w/ Bluetooth enabled or if it is an issue with having both MFC signals and direct MIDI signals going to the AxeFx.

Anybody else had issues with using multiple input devices???

Seems like it could be a variety of things, but I'd try to rule out the Axe not liking both devices at the same time first as it seems most likely.

Would be a shame though if you can't have MIDI and the MFC though, as I was planning to start using the MIDI in to send time clock so I could mess around with having some tempo sync'd delays with my drum machine and some synths. Be a total bummer if that means I would have to unplug my MFC....

I work with my iPad and a simple midi interface connected with the camera connection kit to MFC midi in and it works like a charm as you described it in your first post. Waiting for my Mi.1 and hopping I can drop the midi interface.

I work with my iPad and a simple midi interface connected with the camera connection kit to MFC midi in and it works like a charm as you described it in your first post. Waiting for my Mi.1 and hopping I can drop the midi interface.

How do you have your MFC set up to allow the pass through of midi. I tried attaching the Mi.1 to the MFC but I'm not getting anything.

Ok, got the Mi.1 working with the MFC, however, there is a major drawback using the MIDI on the MFC and that is you can only send preset changes, not raw MIDI. And it appears that the issues I was having last night were possibly due to Bluetooth interference. So, with the Mi.1 on the MFC and the iPad on my mic stand they would be much closer together and hopefully less interference.

How do you have your MFC set up to allow the pass through of midi. I tried attaching the Mi.1 to the MFC but I'm not getting anything.

You have to allow midi receive on the MFC, with onSong application on my iPad I can send CC's to the MFC to switch scenes or effects with a tap on the message on the iPad.

You have to allow midi receive on the MFC, with onSong application on my iPad I can send CC's to the MFC to switch scenes or effects with a tap on the message on the iPad.

What is the format of the CC you are sending. When I am connected directly to the AxeFx I send B0 4B 00 to turn off Phaser 1. But connected to the MFC that CC doesn't work.

Any ideas?

What you describe sending is not a CC but a sysex. A CC is a Control Change and is just a number. You can find the list In the wiki.

@lp59 so are you sending raw midi (hex code)? If so you can you post an example? I can not get the effects piece to work.

I can send the following raw midi using set list maker if I am connected to AxeFx:
//Change to preset 34
C0 00 22
//Turn off Phase1
B0 4B 01
//Turn on Delay2
B0 30 64

However, if I try to send that raw midi through the MFC, it doesn't work.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Don’t know about Bluetooth, but I can use my RJM Mastermind (MIDI) and MFC (FASLink) simultaneously.

To make the MFC “follow” preset changes on the Axe-Fx itself, or through the other device, enable TotalSync on the MFC (Edit > MIDI).

What you describe sending is not a CC but a sysex. A CC is a Control Change and is just a number. You can find the list In the wiki.

You say you can send commands to turn effects on/off with your iPad connected via midi to your MFC. Can you PLEASE give me an example. What I am sending is the raw midi, hexadecimal, command to turn off/on an effect. You said in your last post that you send CC to change effects.

Why do you want to send to MFC. I have the same scenario with a mi.1 sending RAW midi data to the axe fx and the axe fx is changing the MFC via CAT cable. Works perfect.

Back
Top Bottom