MFC-101 or LF Jr+ - I need to decide NOW!

Tones2

Experienced
Got an invitation to buy the Liquid Foot Jr+ today and I'm on the bubble whether to but this or wait for the MFC101. And i need to decide QUICK befoe they run out. The decision is more about size (Jr+) versus ease of use (MFC101). The small money difference is not a concern.

So is the MFC-101 much more easy to program that the Jr+. Is it as versatile? I know the MFC-101 is much heavier at 10 pounds nad bigger, but in person does it seem THAT big?

Any help nwould be GREATLY appreciated!!

I can speak from my older LFPro and Jr I've owned, Still have the pro, and love it. The MFC will be plug and play, and have more buttons, but the LF stuff is top notch too, and has the LCD's now. tough call.

Comes down to buttons or lcd screens. They pretty much do the same thing as each other.

I can speak from my older LFPro and Jr I've owned, Still have the pro, and love it. The MFC will be plug and play, and have more buttons, but the LF stuff is top notch too, and has the LCD's now. tough call.

Comes down to buttons or lcd screens. They pretty much do the same thing as each other.

Not so much concerned about the number of buttons but more about the plug and play aspects of the MFC101 vs size of the Liquid Foot Jr+. Man it's a tough call here.

Pick the MFC. No matter what comes in the future, you can be sure the axe-fx frimware will always be buildt to work with the MFC.

I went the LF+Pro+ route. The editor is really top shelf and second to none.

However, it's not quite as plug-n-play as the MFC will be. There is an auto programming wizard and recent firmware makes it even more plug-n-play, but it's not Axe ready right out of the box the way the MFC will be.

Ease of initial setup and immediate use = MFC
More programmability / features = LF+

The LF+ is just so damned flexible. I'm still experimenting with different configs and layouts, and the possibilities just seem limitless. Combined with a couple of Mission SP1-LF's, there's really nothing I can't control with this thing.

YMMV

All great advice! Although I'm no closer to making a decision. I was leaning toward the Jr+, but there's another thread here that makes it seem like it's very difficult to program. Plus I hate that I need two seperate cords to connect and power up the thing as I am cordaphobic. :) The MFC101 would be ideal for me as don't need that much flexibility, but it's SO much bigger and heavier to drag around, which I hate especially since I still need an expression pedal (for both, but for the MFC101 at already 10 pounds, this might be the additional weight that breaks the camel's back).

Ugh - So hard to decide!! :)

LF+ is easy to integrate, once you get your head around it), and it's far more powerful IMHO. I'd get the JR+, with LED 'labels' instead of just indicator lights. You DO NOT need two cords to connect the LF+ - one will do - they even give you a neat adapter box for it. As to programming, yes, it can complex if you want to do 'non-stock' things - there are so many parameters, layers of 'em. Despite what others have said, the wizards WILL get you to a pretty stock setup, with tuner and tap tempo pretty easily. Look for his videos on youtube. to see what I'm talking about. The concepts are complex - I mean, it's more 'like the AXE' in the sense that it's tweakable and programmable up the wazoo. Some folks like the power, some don't like wading through the complexity that such power brings with it.

I own a LF JR and MFC. I prefer the MFC in every way. LF is there when I need the extra small food print but was a pain to program

I own a LF JR and MFC. I prefer the MFC in every way. LF is there when I need the extra small food print but was a pain to program

How big, bulky and heavy is the MFC101 in person? Will it fit in, say, a normal sized backpack?

Can you configure the LF+ to extract preset names automatically from the Axe FX or are they only hardcoded in seperately?

Last edited:
I am not sure there is a standard size for back back. I have been out of school for a long time but if my mind serves me it would cut it close. I love the MFC. I sold one back in November to fund a guitar a desperately wanted. I did it because I had the LFJR./ Every time I used the LF I missed my MFC (extra buttons ease in programming ect) When I use the LF I have to tell the ii not to transmit tap info, have to change the display and have to change the display off set. I have since gotten another MFC and love it. I still keep the LF because again sometimes I need that tiny footprint but anytime I can use the MFC it is my go too

I am not sure there is a standard size for back back. I have been out of school for a long time but if my mind serves me it would cut it close. I love the MFC. I sold one back in November to fund a guitar a desperately wanted. I did it because I had the LFJR./ Every time I used the LF I missed my MFC (extra buttons ease in programming ect) When I use the LF I have to tell the ii not to transmit tap info, have to change the display and have to change the display off set. I have since gotten another MFC and love it. I still keep the LF because again sometimes I need that tiny footprint but anytime I can use the MFC it is my go too

Thanks!. I would definitely get the MFC but my ONLY worry is size. I have enough cr@p to carry around and having another big bulky controller without a expression pedal even built in is not a small issue for me. So still not sure which way to go here. :)

Can you configure the LF+ to extract preset names automatically from the Axe FX or are they only hardcoded in seperately?

There is an option that, when enabled, will automatically sync preset name changes with the AFX.

Again, this thing is extremely configurable.

There is an option that, when enabled, will automatically sync preset name changes with the AFX.

I have the original jr not +. It does sync but it is not automatic or dynamic. I tell it to fetch names and ia states it essentially takes a snap shot of the preset. If I change the name or change what ia's are on when the preset is first recalls I must force a resync. to have it be "current"

If you ask me it really depends on what exactly you are trying to accomplish. If you are going to be using it with other gear than having the extra flexibility and programmability of the LF is probably going to pay off at some point, but if you really just want to use it with the AxeFX I think that the integration between the MFC and AxeFX is a lot to consider. Personally I've always been one to prefer having the ability to just do things my way, but I don't think that I ever came up with anything better than what the MFC does by default.

Then again I haven't used the LF stuff so perhaps it does everything and more.

Could you elaborate on this option and how to enable it? I have the LF+JR+, and I haven't used that feature.

The LF does take more initial programming, but once you get one versatile preset done (one with scenes), you can just copy and re-use it to create others using the LF editor.

Back
Top Bottom