MFC-101 Modification: Making the best MIDI Controller in the world even better

NiceChris

Experienced
I was pottering about with my rig the other day and blooming annoyed with the fact that, in AF2 mode, the MFC has to have the scene switches behind the the preset switches. I know I can use the reveal button, but I am really lazy, so I do not want to do that.

I found a pic of the guts of the MFC and it inspired me to do a bit of investigation.

What I found out is that the front three rows of switches are the same. This meant that theoretically I can sway the ribbon cables around, and the swich positions should change over. So I tried it and it worked.

Warning: If you try this modification you may well lose your warranty.

I started off by removing the bottom plate, which required undoing the two screws on the rear:

I then removed the six bottom screws:

Which gave me access to the heart of the beast:

In the ringed section of the above photo are the input from the foot switches to the master pcb. I EASED out the connectors from the first and third rows sockets on the master pcb. I then connected the first row connector in to the third rows socket, and the third row into the first rows sockets. I had to swap the first and second row ribbons over as the first row ribbon is not long enough to reach from the switch pcb to the rear socket on the master pcb.

I ran it up and it works.

Lessons learnt.

1. The DOWN button is on the third row. The EDIT button is now on the front row. I've switched to long press to engage.

2. When editing the MFC-101 the Parameter <- -> and ENTER buttons were on the front row. The buttons for selecting what you want to edit are on the third row. It was a bit of a mind f at first, but I soon came around. :D

3. It is IAs 11 to 15 on the front row - which caught me out briefly.

4. My MFC works a lot better for me.​

I like to use a bank of 10 presets with 7 IAs. In stock configuration this means that I have to have rows 3 (11 to 15 - Scenes 1 to 5) and 4 (16 to 17 - tempo and tuner). I don't see how configuring other IAs is going to put my scene switches where I believe they should be (the front row of the MFC), without losing my preset switches.

Has the firmware changed the MFC so that the presets do not have to start from switch 1?

I think it would be great if the preset switches could be moved (in af2 mode) so +1 on that.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Wow, very cool. I would love to have my switches rearranged like that with the preset banks in the back. Alas, I'm only 1 month into my warranty, so I think I'll suffer for 11 more months.

I am not sure what this is doing? Can you give a "different" explanation of what this mod does?

thx..

Preset switches must start from switch 1.

Some don't want preset switches in the first row, but in the 3rd. But preset switches must start from switch 1 which is in the first row.

So he "physically" (by way of internal connections) moved row 1 and switch 1 to row 3.

In some ways, that makes lots of sense. You change "presets" between songs, but IA's during songs. It does seem like it would be better to have those closer to the bottom or home row.

All of this could be completely avoided altogether is FAS would release the expansion module!

Sorry to hijack the thread, I just couldn't resist that one!!! Haha!

Great job btw OP - I may try this...

All of this could be completely avoided altogether is FAS would release the expansion module!

Sorry to hijack the thread, I just couldn't resist that one!!! Haha!

Mr.%2BPeabody.jpg
LOL

Great job btw OP - I may try this...

You're welcome, mate. I hope it makes a great piece of kit work that bit better for you. :D

What about other combinations on the rows and sockets?

Looking at 5 scenes on 1st row

Presets 1 - 5 on 2nd row

Presets 6 - 10 on 3rd row

??

What about other combinations on the rows and sockets?

Looking at 5 scenes on 1st row

Presets 1 - 5 on 2nd row

Presets 6 - 10 on 3rd row

??
As per the pic below, I would connect;

Front row to C - IAs 11 to 15 set as scenes

2nd row to A - Presets 1 to 5 & DOWN switch

3rd row to B - Presets 6 to 10 & UP switch​

From the front of the MFC manual - "Service and repairs of Fractal Audio Systems products are to be performed only at the Fractal Audio Systems factory or a Fractal Audio Systems authorized service center."

Saying that, I'm a risk taker.

Finally went ahead and did it! Thanks!!

Yup, had to switch Row 1 ribbon with Row 2. Too short

For 5 Scenes and 10 IAs ! !

Screen Shot 2013-08-06 at 3.12.40 PM.jpg

Row 1 to row 3 socket (Scenes)
Row 2 to Row 1 socket (Presets 1 - 5)
Row 3 to Row 2 socket (Presets 6 - 10)

Notes:

A. Edit switch now on 1st row.
B. Bank Down/Up now on 2nd and 3rd row respectively (Preserved!)
C. Parameters on 1st and 2nd row now on 2nd and 3rd row respectively
D. Parameters on 3rd row now on 1st row. (i.e. ..."Enter" button now on 1st row...etc)

A bit triply thinking accordingly....but I can hang and get accustomed to these.

Now to get MFC stomp labels with custom indicators/labels that clearly mark the changes. This should definitely work for me!

Got my Scenes on Row 1 without reveal!! And......my 10 presets where I want em' !!! Yea!!

Thanks for the tip!!!

Again,...please be advised of warranty issues with this mod!!

Last edited:
New to FAS.
Just received my MFC-101, got it connected up and learned about scenes.
NC, I totally agree you. I would make row 1 (1-5) Scenes and then rows 2&3 Presets.
With scenes, I can program in the reverb, chorus, delay, drive and boost settings for the amp model. Even more settings if I choose to go with X/Y modes.
No more need for all those pedals on the IA's.
Secondly, I love the fact that I can adjust the "Out Level" independently for each scene, so matching levels and setting scene 5 for "Solo Boost" is a piece of cake.
This capability would greatly enhance how I use the product live.

Gigged last night for the first time since performing the mod!

Huge difference in my confidence and performance!!

Way less tap dancing for sure!

Back
Top Bottom