MFC 101, how would this work with two guitarists?

Mr.RangoTango

Experienced
Good evening! - well it's evening here in Denmark ;)

Currently we are two guitarist going through my axe fx. We have 5 presets with scenes where I control scenes (because my UnO chip allows me to) + presets and the other guitarist can also change presets with his midi-board.

If I were to upgrade to a MFC-board, how would this work then? Basically we have the presets like this:

* Preset 1: Rhythm + rhythm (High gain)
Scene 2: Rhythm + solo

*Preset 2: Rhythm + Clean

*Preset 3: clean + clean
Scene 2: Clean + boost

and so on... :)

I don't know if this is the smartest way to do it, but I'm not that good with MIDI so this is what I could come up with. This way I cannot just tap and get a boost or a phaser or whatever, though!

So there is two thing: The configs, and what type of equipment I would need besides the MFC for the other guitarist!

Can you help me guys?

Well Im sorry... But trying to use a single designed unit for one guitar player and try to divide it for two is kinda like putting a screen door on a submarine. We all drink water but....

Sorry man that didn't help either.... Ill quit now... :mrgreen

Im guessing one pedalboard per person? Whats being asked in parity is how do I share a steering wheel in a car with 2 drivers in the front seat...
It can be done but its a bit cumbersome...

Well it's pretty Easy with my fcb and the other midi board with a midi merger. I just really want a MFC!
Just do the same with the mfc except use the ethernet for the mfc, so you won't need the merger, just plug the fcb directly into the axe midi.

By all means do what you want to- that said, Sorry Im a bit confused still as to why you would want to share midi devices with 1 unit. You can't split 2 patches up between two people at the same time with only 1 Axe FX, at least to my understanding. For instance, while playing the song with patch A, with both of you sending midi change messages to the Axe FX II at the same time, how are you going to keep up with and use different volume, wah and patch changes between 2 of you at the same time without switching from what the other one wanted during the song? And if you are planning to use the same patch, then why two midi control setups? Just trying to understand what you are trying to do... :)

Last edited:
Okay here's how we do it:
There's no patch-splitting, we simply have different patches that matches the tonal scenarios we meet through our song! We both mostly play high gain so out #1 patch is rhythm + rhythm. THEN IF the other guitarist plays a solo he can switch patch to #2 Solo + Rhythm.
Now because I have a FCB with uno, I can set all patches up to have different scenes which I can benefit from. Does it make sense? It's really simple actually. But I would really want a mfc instead of my FCB!

So... using two rows of a preset or something like that? 2 separate signal chains each with an amp and a cab on separate rows? One row to Out 1 and the other row to Out 2? Guitar 1 on in 1, patched to Out 1, Guitar 2 on in 2, patched to Out 2? Is this what you are doing?

I never even knew you could do something like that... It actually never crossed my mind. Does this work? It's crazy, but somehow kind of brilliant if so.

I wondered about setting up a preset with hard left being guitar #1 on input 1 and hard right being guitar #2 on input 2, with two different rows on the preset with two different amp/cab blocks. It's wonky for sure, but it would be a nice easy way to jam with a buddy through my PA system without him bringing all his gear over. I'm not sure if that's what the OP is trying to do?

So... using two rows of a preset or something like that? 2 separate signal chains each with an amp and a cab on separate rows? One row to Out 1 and the other row to Out 2? Guitar 1 on in 1, patched to Out 1, Guitar 2 on in 2, patched to Out 2? Is this what you are doing?

I never even knew you could do something like that... It actually never crossed my mind. Does this work? It's crazy, but somehow kind of brilliant if so.
Of course this works. I've used a shared bass + guitar setup for quite a time (and still do, in case of small venue rigs where we don't want to carry the bass amp).

@TO:

So basicly only one of you is changing scenes? I've found that there's better solutions that allow having two completely seperate controlled virtual rigs:
Use external controls on all bypass modifiers of guitar 2 instead of mapping the bypass states to scenes. This basicly allows for the same functionality, but the bypass states of these blocks won't change anymore when guitarist 1 changes scenes.
If you are fine with a somewhat stripped down functionality for guitarist 2 (external controls are limited and you can't have two controls overlapping on the same param), then this is the best solution for emulating a double rig.

So this is what each player can use for himself:
guitarist 1: presets & scenes
guitarist 2: pseudo-scenes via external controls mapped to bypass state

The sound for guitarist 2 will only change if guitarist 1 changes presets, not scenes. If you want to ensure preset compatibility for guitarist 2, all presets need to have the same virtual rig for guitarist 2.
Remember that you can map the same external control to multiple blocks and even invert the modifier to create mutual exclusive blocks.

Thank you so much! This is exactly what I want!
So instead of changing scenes or presets I'm just
Gonna attach a ext contr to the different blocks to change the x/y state and soforth?;)
I thought this was a widely-known thing to do, but I guess not many have to struggle with 2 guitars at once ! :)

Back
Top Bottom