• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

MFC 101 cable question.

schlagdog

Inspired
I have the original 101 and the regular AXEFXII and can't seem to get a 25 foot cable to work with it. I have a bunch of smaller ones that work perfect but ordered from monoprice, Amazon, and got one at fry's and can't get any of the longer ones to work. 1 won't even power it and the other 2 power it but nothing else. I keep buying Cat5 and I think I got a Cat5e at some point any none work. Anyone just shoot me a link to a good company to get a long sturdy cable for my version 1 mfc and axefx2 that seems to work?

mr_fender

Axe-Master
Make sure you are getting regular Ethernet cables and not crossover cables. Those have a different wiring pin-out. Crossover cables are usually marked as such, but not always. To check, hold both plug ends of a cable side by side with the clips pointed away from you and compare the 8 colored wires in each end. On a regular straight through cable, the sequence of wire colors will be the same on both ends. On a crossover cable, the two ends will be wired differently so the color sequence will not match.

Also, if your Ethernet cables have a protective sheathing around the RJ45 plug base, make sure it is not keeping you from pushing the plug all the way into the jack to make a good connection. That can be an annoying issue on some Ethernet cables. Sometimes you can wiggle the sheath part back a bit, other times you have to trim the end of it a little. All the Cisco VOIP phones we use at work have deep set RJ45 jacks on them and I have to trim those types of cables sometimes. It's the protective part around the back of the plug like this:

cat-5-cable-with-rj45-plug.jpg

Top Bottom