MFC 101 and SP1 setup woes (done use Chris--KKMmusic video)

tas9195

Inspired
So I attempted to set up my SP1 with the MFC like in the video I want to do the volume when button is inactive and wah when activated. after hitting edit and setup I paged over to XP1 and set it up like he said and then went to page over to XP 2 and there wasn't that option is the first problem. The second problem is when I saved it the volume pedal doesn't work. Just like it isn't hooked up. Does this have to do with the fact that XP2 isn't there to set up the button. I am running the quantum firmware now and have the MFC mark III version. not sure how to tell what version I am on for the MFC. Any help would be appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVTDJGCmFdM&list=PL3UVFIJtzA0YtxSUZEXhauXuSFHqBzzYG&iSiondex=4

Not XP2.........XS1, 2, 3, or 4 for the switch..............XP = Expression Pedal..............XS = External Switch

No .... it's XP inputs 1 and 2 on the MFC that are correct method - the XP2 is set up as a 'switch' (0 and 127 calibration range)

You don't 'page' over to XP2 - with the cursor underneath XP1 you use the INCR/UP switch to change the XP1 to XP2. You then 'parameter' right to set it's values

Are you sure you are using 2 TRS cables from the SP1 to the XP ins on the MFC?

Other than that it's likely you've missed something in the instructions - go through the video again - you might need to revise your modifiers setup in both your wah block and Vol block (if you are using a Vol block in the chain to control volume that is) and ensure they are set properly to the correct External Pedal 1 and also have the min/max values set correctly in the Vol block modifier screen.

Chris goes through the wah and vol block setup step by step from about 18 mins in on his video - so once you've got the pedal sweep calibrated (XP1) and the switch calibrated (XP2) to 0 and 127 you could fast forward to that.

Ok, I just watched Chris' video. He is using XP2 for the switch in the SP1 and it will work fine. But I would use the External Switch input XS1 for the switch and leave the Expression pedal inputs for other Expression pedals..........But that's just me...

If you follow his video exactly.......It should work.

All of his video's are excellent!

Yes ..... apologies .... I should have made it clearer that I only meant it is 'correct' if specifically following that tutorial video step by step.

Yeah I must have missed something I think I did try to page over instead of going up or down to get to it. I will rewatch it tonight and see if that works. I am guessing the outcome will be the same whether I go with XP or XS.

For convenience - stick with following the video instructions exactly would be my advice. Once you are more comfortable about navigating/understanding/configuring the MFC you can maybe look at other ways of doing things.

Using 2 XPs still leaves you with scope to add 2 more Exp pedals (or 1 more SP1 set to dual duties) to the MFC in the future if you want.

The SP1 pedal is designed so that the switch uses an XP port, since many midi floor controllers don't have a switch type jack. That's why I use an XP port for the switch.

Thanks guys I am cranking it up right now and will run through the video again and see what happens. Thanks chris

well I got it to make noise but it still isn't quite right. I will go through again tomorrow and tweak it right when my eyes aren't shutting down on me. Thanks again for the help

Guess I will step away from it for a while have walked through the video 3 times made sure everything lined up and now all I get is a wah sound at all times button pressed or not. Probably will try to reload quantum and see what happens. Could the firmware for the mfc have anything to do with it. not sure which firmware I am using.

On MFC enter edit mode > then hit Setup and page left once to see the current FW version

[edit]

It's unlikely that the FW version will make too much difference if everything else is working on the MFC ...

If you've got the wah working and it's active no matter what the SP1 switch state is then it could be any or all of below:

1. You have not got the cable from the switch jack on the SP1 (the one nearest the heel) in External 2 input on the back of the MFC (it also needs to be a working TRS cable - just checking)

2. You might not have calibrated the switch on External 2 ... 5.25 on the video

3. You might not have the XP 1 and XP 2 MIDI setup on the MFC set to the correct CC values of Ext Ctrl 1 ( CC=16) and External Ctrl 2 ( CC=17) on the AxeFX .... see 8.00 on the video or 8.50 to cut out the intro talk.

Last edited:
I will double check all of that this weekend I hope the cable isn't bad. I know the CC values are good I checked those a few times.

Well was able to check out the cables with the little time i had and they worked no matter which cable I used on each input and double checked how they were hooked up and it was correct. So onto the next step.

so what exactly isn't working at this point?

you say "worked no matter what input" - input of what?

is there any way you can shoot a short video showing the problem and components you're using?

If the wah was working - but it's bypass was ignoring the SP-1's switch then it could be that you've forgotten to assign 'EXTRN 2' to it's Source in the WAH BYP MODE modifier screen.

On AxeFX front panel dial up a preset with your WAH block in it - hit LAYOUT - then NAV across to select the WAH block - hit EDIT - then PAGE right to go to Page 2 of the WAH edit screen - NAV right to highlight the 'BYP MODE' control - hit ENTER to go into it's Modifier screen ....

What value is assigned to 'SOURCE' on that Modifier screen? It should be 'EXTRN 2' (the SP-1 switch) if it's set to 'NONE' then your WAH will always be active

the inputs on the sp1 to the input on the mfc. I switched the cables to see if I got the same outcome. I will shoot a short video showing my issue. I also have a weird glitch on the axe fx that i will video also. One of the screen where you switched the min and max for the volume and the wah wouldn't stay on that screen would switch back automatically while I was trying to adjust. It is close to halloween seems I have a ghost.

I believe I had the source correct but will double check. my frustration might be affecting what I am seeing in the video LOL.

Back
Top Bottom