Bug? Metronome via USB Not Working

I’m using my FM3 via USB and Logic Pro and I can’t get the metronome to work. Works fine via headphones/output and I have the Metronome Volume USB/Digital turned up. Anything else I should try?

Could it be that it has something to do with: “The FM3 is NOT a USB MIDI Device. It uses COM ports over USB for Fractal-Bot and FM3-Edit, and will not appear as a MIDI device in a DAW or other MIDI program.”? (FM3 Owner’s Manual, 132).

IIRC i never got/get the metronome over SPDIF. That might be the same issue as over USB.

Edit: i need to say i'm on the FM9.

Last edited:
Could it be that it has something to do with: “The FM3 is NOT a USB MIDI Device. It uses COM ports over USB for Fractal-Bot and FM3-Edit, and will not appear as a MIDI device in a DAW or other MIDI program.”? (FM3 Owner’s Manual, 132).
It's not that. The metronome outputs audio, not MIDI.

I believe the metronome is mixed in after the grid (like the monitoring feeds from USB Outputs 1/2 and 3/4), so it is not transmitted over USB/SPDIF/AES.

Edit: The USB/Digital level on the tempo screen controls the level going over USB. To hear it in your DAW, you'll need to arm a track and turn on software monitoring.

If you're not seeing USB output on the meters page of the Home screen with the Metronome USB/Digital level turned up, it might be a bug in the FM3 firmware. It's working as expected on the Axe III, but I don't have an FM3 to test it.

Last edited:
I believe the metronome is mixed in after the grid (like the monitoring feeds from USB Outputs 1/2 and 3/4), so it is not transmitted over USB/SPDIF/AES.

Edit: The USB/Digital level on the tempo screen controls the level going over USB. To hear it in your DAW, you'll need to arm a track and turn on software monitoring.

If you're not seeing USB output on the meters page of the Home screen with the Metronome USB/Digital level turned up, it might be a bug in the FM3 firmware. It's working as expected on the Axe III, but I don't have an FM3 to test it.
Track is armed and SW Mon is on. I do hear my guitar just not the metronome. But since the USB meters don’t show anything, it indeed must be something on the unit itself.

Can anybody test metronome on the FM3 USB meters?

I guess you found a bug
I tested the FM3 Metronome and you're right, over USB it doesn't work at all!
It works only if connected via SPDIF but you have to raise the Output 1 volume in the settings (I thought that digital would be the right choice).

Screenshot 2024-09-10 at 12.44.12.png

Rising USB/Digital does nothing at all
(My FM3 is connected as an aggregate device with my audio interface and I armed a SPDIF + USB track)

Can someone confirm whether the USB / Digital output is working on the new FM9/AFIII firmwares, that is, do the meters on USB OUT show anything when turning up the Metronome volume?

Back
Top Bottom