Meters basically useless without peak dB readout

I must say that when I first started mixing digitally I was running everything way hotter than required, still thinking analogue trying to get a good S/N ratio. I now mix everything at a lot lower level and make up required level/volume on the master bus. I've carried this on when using AxeFX and it works well so I'm not concerned about clipping anymore. I think this is along the lines of what Chris is saying so I agree with him on this.

I do however like the idea put forward about metering on Axe edit.

I must say that when I first started mixing digitally I was running everything way hotter than required, still thinking analogue trying to get a good S/N ratio. I now mix everything at a lot lower level and make up required level/volume on the master bus. I've carried this on when using AxeFX and it works well so I'm not concerned about clipping anymore. I think this is along the lines of what Chris is saying so I agree with him on this.

I do however like the idea put forward about metering on Axe edit.
Yeah, one thing to keep in mind when mixing is that the 0dB mark on most plugins is at -18dBFS, and they're calibrated to work better at that level (especially those based on real world hardware), so the optimum level to record anything should be that.

Back
Top Bottom