Metallica live on Jimmy Kimmel

GreatGreen

Power User

Metallica's studio tone has sounded... pretty bad over the last few albums. The guitar tone on the new 72 Seasons album is particularly thin, anemic, and somehow also manages to be mushy at the same time. Basically, Metallica's Producer Greg Fidelman should never be allowed to produce a metal album again.

However, their live tone here sounds great! Great mix, great guitar tones. Solid evidence that Axe-Fx's can sound better than a studio full of tube amps (as recorded by Greg Fidelman).

People on this forum have known this for years of course, but it's nice to see such a high profile direct comparison of Axe-Fx rigs vs tube rigs where the Axe comes out so far ahead.

Last edited:
Considering they are 60 it just kick ass.
Metallica is one of my favorite band, my first metal tab was the master of puppets album. I learned so much with them . when I don’t know what to play I play with one of their record, I don’t count own many times I have heard and played their songs … they are just great . And I respect each members .

I like Metallica but cannot stand Kirk's playing. Love James guitar playing, but Kirk just always sounds like noise to me.
James and Robert kick it, Lars kinda, maybe. Kirk reminds me of that kid in high school playing faster than he can really play or think, comes out like overexcited mumblemumble.

They sound great for how deep into their career they are. I can't imagine having to play your hits over and over and over again. I get sick of a song after a few weeks of rehearsal.

I didn't find another thread on the new album, so I'll just leave it here

Thomas Lang Learns "Lux Æterna" As Fast As Possible​

I watched the whole thing with a huge smile, it's just awesome

Just read an interview on Guitar World.

Hammett noted, “The tone on 72 Seasons is based on my live sound, which is a Fractal Axe-Fx modelled on a blend of my Fortin Meathead amp and my Dual Rectifier.

That's awesome, I bought the HD-FLAC and it sounds so good.

Back
Top Bottom