Metallica - “Orion” cover

While Call of Ctulhu was the best of Metallica's instrumentals I like Orion more. Especially the 3/4 tempo middle part. I didn't know the riff played at 0:52 was originally played on the bass. Considering Cliffs influence on the band at the time it makes sense though. I learned something. :D

Cliff Burton not dying and having remained a creative influence on the band is probably one of the great musical what ifs, as he seems to have been the driving force behind their prog era. And without him it just didn't come together on In Justice For All, causing the band to go simpler subsequently. I don't think we would have had that era if Cliff had been around. No offense to Jason, who was a perfectly good bass player, but him getting shafted by the band meant he could not really step into Cliff's shoes. He just wasn't allowed too.

While Call of Ctulhu was the best of Metallica's instrumentals I like Orion more. Especially the 3/4 tempo middle part. I didn't know the riff played at 0:52 was originally played on the bass. Considering Cliffs influence on the band at the time it makes sense though. I learned something. :D

Cliff Burton not dying and having remained a creative influence on the band is probably one of the great musical what ifs, as he seems to have been the driving force behind their prog era. And without him it just didn't come together on In Justice For All, causing the band to go simpler subsequently. I don't think we would have had that era if Cliff had been around. No offense to Jason, who was a perfectly good bass player, but him getting shafted by the band meant he could not really step into Cliff's shoes. He just wasn't allowed too.
I think it was more of an inability to get over Cliff’s death than Jason not greatly contributing to the Justice album. This remix proves that as far as I’m concerned.

Jason's bass lines are fine. Once you can hear them that is. Thing is though, he wasn't Cliff when it came to songwriting, I think he did not have Cliff's je ne sais quoi when it came to songwriting and arranging and overall he was more like Kirk, had to show up when it was time to record, rehearse, or perform, other then that, James and Lars basically ran the show. Except Kirk didn't get the abuse that Jason did.

I think I can speak for cliff when I say: he liked it better when you used your fingers(no pick)... nice work!

Back
Top Bottom