Metal and FRFR

S-O

Hey there, I have done some asking around, and have gotten mixed results!

So, I was wondering if I can still get awesome metal tones using FRFR (probably a K12) as comapred to say DCM600 through a cab like MESA/Orange/Vader.

I get the idea that FRFR is the sound of a mic'd amp, which is fine with me, because that's what the audience/listener would hear live/on cd. And, this way I could take advantage of more sounds.

But, I was wanted to check around! Bands that I like and want to get similar sounds: Cynic, Meshuggah, Opeth, etc blah blah jazzy death metal blah blah... and more cahotic mathcore blah blah bands like Sikth, DEP, Car Bomb. I also like to dumb things down and go for Isis and Cult of Luna type things.

Do any other metal guys support FRFR? The lightweight/smaller aspect is cool, since I gotta take all my stuff to the drummers house, but I'd hate to get an axe-fx and not be happy!

TL/DR? FRFR + Metal = awesome, true or false?

I'd like to hear the same. I am also into Opeth, Messugah, Lamb of God, Gojira, High on Fire, Chimaira. Ive decided to order the Ultra a few days before I get back to Dallas for the Holidays

With 1 12" speaker in the FRFR power monitors you would really need to go with two to get a good thump. However, I have owned the Verve 8ma, own the Verve 12ma and just got the Atomic FRFR, and the Atomic is the better choice for metal. It has a guitar cab-type housing, which makes a huge difference in the tone for distorted guitar sounds ... and keeps the bass sounding heavy but not loose. I was cranking up the standard Mesa Recto patch from the presets and it was great sounding, really pummeling.

I read that the atomic FR was not loud enough for some live applications, I need to compete with a drummer and bassist, and generally another guitarist, and the K12 is 1000 watts, which will be considerably louder than the tube 50 watts. I just want to be able to use it at home, and be portable enough to bring around.

But, maybe what I have read is wrong!

I have one Reactor, and it is plenty loud ... but for metal I would go with two ... you need at least two 12" speakers to pull that off with a loud drummer and bassist ...

Go for tone over volume ... you will get the best tones out of the Reactor ... and again, you can always buy two of them.

Anyone else got any experience? While I am sure the reactor owns, I can get PAs for cheaper, and if they are equal or better, or perhaps even a hair under, I will be happy. Gonna post around a bit and see if I can get even answers! Does anyone know the preferred way of bands like Cynic or Meshuggah, I know Tymon has posted here before, and Jocke from Clawfinger owns a studio with Meshuggah and is, I assume, pretty good friends with them.

Sorry to pester, just want to know all before I dive into the axe-fx!

since 9.0 ive been much happier with the atomic. it sounds good for metal now and i dont really miss my dcm1000 and g-flex cab anymore. 8.09 i really was torn between the old setups firepower and the atomics versatility. ive yet to use it in a band situation but its pretty loud (loud enough for my bedroom anyways)

XD I guess people love the Atomic frfr, which is awesome! But, I would like to make sure I understand the idea of FRFR. Let's say I dial in a brootal tone, pre/power/cab/mic and what not sims. FRFR systems just take that sound, and make it loud, right? So that exact tone is, more or less depending on quality, represented exactly as the axe fx puts out. That sounds like what I want, since I would be hearing the tones that I would have recorded, or what an audience would hear. So, I think a QSC k12, or if I can find an HPR122i, will fit the bill.

I think the Verves will get you closer to flat response than the other two monitors you mention ... people switch over all the time. I still love the Verve 12ma, but there is a bit of magic in the Atomic Reactor that lends itself to live guitar playing.

I can honestly say I am an average player who has enjoyed great equipment, and I sold both a SLO and an XTC Classic after I bought my Axe-FX ... I just found my sounds with it, and the Verve was the original monitor that made it all come together for me.

But the Atomic has the advantage of being made with the Axe-FX in mind, it is still flat response, but it does lean towards the guitar end of things as opposed to vocals like some monitors would. Hard to explain, and I am worse at explaining it ....

Back
Top Bottom