Messed up sound when recording

torkolort

Inspired
I need some help here...

I use a TC Elektronic Konnekt 8 firewire interface into Cubase. My first attempt was to use balanced out into one of the mic channels on the interface. Didn't sound good. Then I tried regular jacks from output2. Sounded even worse. When I play through the Atomic it sounds amazing, but there is something very wrong happening with the sound on the way from the axe fx to the interface. IS the best solution to mic up the Atomic, or should I be able to get the same quality when recording directly? Since there is such a huge difference in the sound, there must be something I do wrong. The patches sound very metallic, distant and lack gain. Really hope someone could lead me in the right direction here.

Thank you

Hiya Torkolort,

I have experienced similar issues and I found it to be down to the recording interface (ie Konnekt 8 in your case).

Mostly it was due to the mic preamps on the device getting in the way.

Try these ideas - Record using s/pdif digital coaxial input (you will need a s/pdif cable). Make sure you set the Konnekt to 48khz and the clock source must be set to SLAVE on the Konnekt8. The Axe-FX must rus as the MASTER clock source.

If you record using the XLR balanced outs on the Axe-FX (which I recommend), then you should try using the Konnekt8 Analog stereo line input on the rear panel. You may need some XLR to jack converters (or a good DI) to do this. Also remember here to PAD the input and turn up the Axe-FX Output. I like to run mine just over halfway, but see how you go.

I hope that helps,

TimmyM

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Here's my interface:

konnekt-8.jpg

I just plugged the XLR into the mic because I thought that was the only option. If I get some converters and plug it into ch1(L) and ch2(R), do you think that would give me the same quality as when playing through he Atomic? Or would s/pdif be a better option for me?

Thanks again

I would get the balanced XLR to jack converters. It is less mucking about with fixing s/pdif clock rates, and means you can set your recording rates to whatever you like (ie 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 192kHz etc).

The XLR ins on that interface appear to have mic preamps that can't be turned off and they affect the tone. The balanced line ins will most likely be a better bet as they should be the right impedence and not have any preamp EQ and gain colouring the tone.

Still, s/pdif is pretty cool and can be a very uncoloured way of getting your tone into the box

TimmyM

Hi again.

Before trying your suggestion, I wanted to try using s/pdif first. Took some time before I got it to work, but when I finally had it all figured out, the result was pretty decent. However, there is still something about the tone that I'm not happy with and there is still a relatively big difference between direct recording and playing through the Atomic. On some of my patches, the difference isn't that noticeable, on other patches it can be a huge difference.

Here is a recording I did using s/pdif
The Best of Times Solo

The positive feedback was a little unexpected because even though it sounds fairly nice, I feel when playing direct the tone sounds somewhat nicking and and flat. When playing through the Atomic, I feel the tone is a lot more round and warm and there's a lot less hiss. It's harder to hear when playing to the backing track, but if I isolate my own recording, it does not sound good.

So the question is if maybe I should go ahead and get a better interface? The konnekt8 is a pretty old interface I think, and I got it from some studio guy who didn't use it anymore. But I need to know if that's likely to solve my problem or not...

Thanks!

Hi Torkolort,

That sounds great, but I can understand how things will sound different when you isolate your solo sound (ie drop the backing track out).

Its up to you whether you change your interface. I would say that it isn't just your interface, but the entire signal chain you are running through. It is most definitely going to sound different using the Axe-FX through the Atomic as compared to hearing the Axe-FX through the Konnekt, your computer and whatever studio monitors you are using. In fact that leads me to ask what monitors you are using. This can make a big difference.

As to the noise and hum your are getting, that one is something you will have to troubleshoot. Try unplugging your guitar from the Axe-FX when its on the preset you are using, while the Axe is still hooked up (audio-wise) to the interface. It will soon tell you if the noise is from the Axe-FX, or is coming as a result of grounding in your guitar, or microphonic guitar leads, or ground loops from your computer etc.

TimmyM

I think the noise comes from my pickups but there are just a number of patches where this occurs. Through the atomic there's a lot less noise, but it's there. I can pretty much get rid of it with the noise gate though.

But yeah, when I record I only use some crappy headphones. As I am a poor student, and also very new to all of this, I do not have any additional recording equipment than the axe and the interface... I was prepared for less quality while recording with headphones, but I kinda expected the end result to be somewhat better. I've tried to record direct while running through the Atomic as well, and there's a pretty big difference. I wish you could be here and hear what I mean :)

Yeah it sucks when your a student with a low budget just wanting to record some cool tunes in high-quality audio. I was there once too. I purchased a Zoom external Hard disk multitrack (two-tracks at once) with all my savings to get me started.

Maybe see if you can spring for a better set of headphones. These can make all the difference. I bought a pair of Beyer DT770Pro headphones as soon as I could afford them. They are the closest thing for me to good reference monitors IMHO - but a whole lot cheaper. There are other brands out there too, so shop around.

As for hum, you might have to check shielding of your guitar and also grounding of your equipment. I've also found the electricity supply in your flat/house can have an impact on noise and tone. My house there is a definite click that happens. That and the kind of computer monitor you are using (is it magnetically shielded?).

Good luck,

TimmyM

You're right, I've been thinking about getting some decent headphones for a while and as soon as I can afford it I will order!

Thanks for all your help and advice, really appreciate it! :)

Back
Top Bottom