Mesa Thiele?

sgplayer76

Inspired
Sorry for the dumb question, but I’m wondering if the Mesa Thiele 1x12 cab IR is in the AxeFx III’s factory cabinets? If so, I can’t seem to find it. Thanks!

Not sure, I think Factory cabs 337 - 376 1x12 IIC+ are this cab.
I could be wrong.
Thiele has the 1 x 12" Celestion 90 speaker. It's not this one ;-)
But...Thiele is closed back, the one I posted is open back. It is the only one 1x12 C90 I found (for free).

THE point of a Thiele is the reflex design and EV speaker the C90 version is not even similar.

Doesn't the Thiele have a C90 in it? I don't understand your point.

Also, the Mesa 1x12 Widebody Closed Back is ported. So it would be similar (somewhat) to the Thiele in real life - and probably in an IR as well.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Mesa-Boogie/Thiele-1x12-90W-Guitar-Speaker-Cabinet-Black-1500000348352.gc?cntry=us&source=4WWRWXMP&msclkid=62d0352933ee110ac6c2561fee17020e&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=**LP - Shop - Amplifiers & Effects - Amplifiers - Guitar Amplifiers&utm_term=4578778806416595&utm_content=1500000348352 | Mesa Boogie Thiele 1x12" 90W Guitar Speaker Cabinet Black | $519 USD

The later Thiele cabs have C90's in them. The old ones had EV's and sounded much better. EV stopped making the EVM12L speaker for a number of years, so Mesa had to switch over to the C90. The later reissue EVM12L's supposedly don't sound quite like the old ones, but I've never compared them side by side.

Last edited:
Not sure, I think Factory cabs 337 - 376 1x12 IIC+ are this cab.
I could be wrong.

Those are from Cliff's IIC+ combo I believe. I don't think there are any factory Thiele cab IRs. They'd likely need their own impedance curve in the amp block as well due to the ported design. Ported cabs usually have two low frequency resonant peaks. One for the speaker and one for the cab port.

Thiele with an EV sounds totally different to the C90 and the closed back cab is different as well . I have a real EV Thiele and it' the best 1x 12" ever made.

I have two Mesa Thiele cabs and I swapped the C90s for new EVM-12Ls. The EVs sound pretty different, the top end is a lot smoother. I have no idea how the old EVM12Ls sound. That being said, I did a shootout between the closed and open back and liked the closed back better. That was with C90s in both.

Thiele with an EV sounds totally different to the C90 and the closed back cab is different as well . I have a real EV Thiele and it' the best 1x 12" ever made.

I'm sure it is awesome.

I didn't know they made a Thiele with 2 different speakers over the years.

If anyone is requesting a Thiele cab IR, would need to be specific on which speakers they're requesting. Also not sure if the 'magic' of a ported cab is properly captured in an IR (agree that an impedance curve would be needed too) - since it's the AITR thump that people like about them. Depends on the system you're amplifying the IR with probably.

And now that I've thrown the AITR grenade into the conversation, I'll see myself out.

I absolutely love Mesa Thiele cabs. In fact, I have two right next to me, loaded stock with EVM12Ls. I haven't found a thiele IR that I have strongly connected to yet, but the stock Rumble Cabs have EVs in them and sound great. The Legacy Cab bank contains the 1x12 E12L(RW) IR. It sounds good, albeit a little boxy and dark with my setup. However, with a bright guitar, it might just be a great match.

Back
Top Bottom