Mesa Power amps

gearjunkie

Inspired
Hey guys I've seen quite a few fractal rigs now using Mesa simul 2:90 power amps running out to cabs. This is the way I was planning to set up.( not interested in FRFR yet) this power amp seems to be a good all around unit that's used by a lot of players. I just noticed Mesa also has a Recto 100 power amp. Anyone have any opinions either way, or experience with these power amps? As far as I know they are pretty much the same price.

I had the mesa simul 2:90...what a beast that thing was...powerhouse and adds a lot of 'voice' to your signature...i think thats a good thing and a bad thing depending on how it sounds to you. I loved it...especially the modern and deep modes to it...wowsa!!!. I cant really offer how that compares to other poweramps (recto) as i now have an atomic 50/50 and run to passive wedges (FRFR). There are times i miss the mesa though. My understanding is the 2:90 is very different sound than the recto...hopefully others will chime in on this.

I use the 50/50 in my rig. I love it but it does add the Mesa flavor to everything (good for the Mesa patches) different for the MArshall-ish pathches , not bad just different.
the Recto power amp is a lot more bass heavy, I'd go for the 2:90 if you're set on mesa
the 50/50 is also very good and loud, but it adds more of the "Mark" type of flavor, the 2:90 is a bit more modern sounding (bassy.scooped)

Used a 2:90 for years.....now a MATRIX GT1000FX. Trust me on this.....because I never thought I could get as good a sound as the Mesa......it's actually better now with the Matrix. PM me if you want a more in depth review.

Used a 2:90 for years.....now a MATRIX GT1000FX. Trust me on this.....because I never thought I could get as good a sound as the Mesa......it's actually better now with the Matrix. PM me if you want a more in depth review.

i have to agree with tremonti on this one... i had a stereo 2:50 and i really loved it, but it was dreadfully heavy. loud as all hell, but very bad on the back, and my shoulder isn't in the best shape. Matrix amps are phenomenal, very translucent, loud, dynamic and very light. around 8 lbs or so. It works amazingly with my II

I have a Mesa 2:90 that I formerly used with a Triaxis. I've tried it with the Axe with decent results, but I simply prefer using studio monitors or headphones. Using the 2:90 plus my Recto 212 just colors my patches too much in terms of tone. It makes my patches sound much more similar than they do through a more "flat" sounding speaker.

I agree that the 2:90 does colour the tone somewhat, however I still keep the power amp sims on when using with the AXE FX. It doesn't sound any worse than using the Fractal through a PA or studio monitors, but it does reduce your tonal options a little. Hell of an amp mind but I will also be moving over to the Matrix in the future as it's a heavy beast, and after 15 years with it I want to move away from valves.

I have to agree with Tremonti, I had a Mesa 20/20 and now I have a Matrix GT1000FX. The big secret to the Axe FXII is using the Speaker Cabs and Power Amp emulation. Remember you are not looking for the best sound out of your guitar speaker cab but the best recorded and or Front of House sound...........think like a Producer or Sound guy

20/20 here too with amp sims on, amazing sound i won't be selling my mesa.

The only issue i had with my 20/20 was the fan noise, i have since installed 2 x quiet fans and am over the moon with the result, the amp is now almost silent in operation at low volume.

Back
Top Bottom