Wish Mesa Mark I

sumitagarwal

Inspired
My searching skills might suck, but I don't think I saw this.

Just as with the rich history of Marshall and Fender amps we've got in the box, would be awesome to be able to start from the beginning on the Mesa side of things. Curious to hear what the sound was before Mesa started targeting the sound they were known for.

Not that it helps anyone besides me, but I actually just found/bought a nice blonde Mk I from 1976. I started playing guitar that year and a Boogie combo like Carlos was using was a dream amp for me. It wasn’t a Mark Anything back then, as that moniker didn’t come until there was a Mk II, it was just the original Boogie, and a marvel to guitarists. Should arrive this week, and I can’t wait. It only took 47 years to get one!

Unfortunately that's only the clean channel of the Mark I, it models the Mark I preamp and not the power amp, and Cliff states that despite Mesa's marketing the Triaxis circuits are very different from the actual amps' circuits.
I as a far I know Mark I is a single Channel, you can play with the drive and get the dirty Tones, the Original Mark I has Volume I and II, Treble, Bass and Middle.

I as a far I know Mark I is a single Channel, you can play with the drive and get the dirty Tones, the Original Mark I has Volume I and II, Treble, Bass and Middle.

Yeah not so much channels as it is separate inputs for different gain levels. Input 1 puts an additional gain stage and volume control in front of Input 2. You could use an A/B box to switch between the two inputs for foot switchable gain levels (usually with a healthy POP). The input arrangement is not that dissimilar from the Marshall JCM800 2203 and 2204 amps with their High and Low Sensitivity inputs but input 1's gain boost was adjustable compared to the Marshall's fixed amount of gain boost on the High Sensitivity input.

Last edited:
Yeah not so much channels as it is separate inputs for different gain levels. Input 1 puts an additional gain stage and volume control in front of Input 2. You could use an A/B box to switch between the two inputs for foot switchable gain levels (usually with a healthy POP). The input arrangement is not that dissimilar from the Marshall JCM800 2203 and 2204 amps with their High and Low Sensitivity inputs but input 1's gain boost was adjustable compared to the Marshall's fixed amount of gain boost on the High Sensitivity input.
So presumably the Axe-FX Triaxis clean model is the low input, without the extra gain stage?

FWIW I've always also wished for low-input JCM800 models.

Not that it helps anyone besides me, but I actually just found/bought a nice blonde Mk I from 1976. I started playing guitar that year and a Boogie combo like Carlos was using was a dream amp for me. It wasn’t a Mark Anything back then, as that moniker didn’t come until there was a Mk II, it was just the original Boogie, and a marvel to guitarists. Should arrive this week, and I can’t wait. It only took 47 years to get one!
I had a Mark Nothing too, old enough to have label-maker labels on the back, combo with a JBL 15". Great amp. I used an Alembic preamp with it for clean clean, plus the two inputs for a little drive and more.

I don't have it any more, because apparently I'm an idiot.

I had a Mark Nothing too, old enough to have label-maker labels on the back, combo with a JBL 15". Great amp. I used an Alembic preamp with it for clean clean, plus the two inputs for a little drive and more.

I don't have it any more, because apparently I'm an idiot.
Yeah, this is one of those “Dymo Label” ones, but the 1x12 version. The original owner was selling, he’s had it since new. I happen to have a couple of Altec 417-8H speakers in the closet, so I’m going to make a real scorcher out of it! Not to add to your misery, but those 15” Mk I amps are super rare… 300 or less were ever made!

To the OP who’s post I rudely derailed, my apologies! I am agreeing with your wish 100%.

Last edited:
I still have my Mesa Boogie MK IIC+ Simulclass I bought in 1984 after they first came out...it took me quite a while to figure it out and after I did it changed everything for me.

Yes! The original Mesa Boogie model (called Mk I now for reference purposes). Love to have a model of that. I don't think anybody models that one except the Nux Amp Academy and that is well...what it is.

The Mark I started it all for Mesa. I’ve always dreamed of owning one in my early days. Their ads in Guitar Player magazines in the late 70s were selling the Mark II but referenced the Mark I as starting it all with its “singing quality” …

Top players referred to its “magic” tone and feel.

Never played one ☹️

In my Utra days it was wished for but reports was that the amp circuitry was easily achieved by utilizing other available amp models with tweaks which I would do and tweak to how I would imagine the tone to be.

The Mark I started it all for Mesa. I’ve always dreamed of owning one in my early days. Their ads in Guitar Player magazines in the late 70s were selling the Mark II but referenced the Mark I as starting it all with its “singing quality” …

Top players referred to its “magic” tone and feel.

Never played one ☹️

In my Utra days it was wished for but reports was that the amp circuitry was easily achieved by utilizing other available amp models with tweaks which I would do and tweak to how I would imagine the tone to be.
I’ve had lots of Boogies over the years, but never got to scratch that original itch. Back then, Boogies were often discussed but rarely seen, though production did ramp up in the later 70s (They’d only reached #511 by May of 76 when mine was made, but were well over 2000 by two years later). Even into the Mk IIs, seeing one on a club stage was like spotting a unicorn. I only knew one player who had one in the original combo (Mk I) days, and last time I spoke with him, he still had it. They’re that kind of special to the few who did dive in early.

It only took me 47 years to finally play one!

What s/n? I had #12118.
Mesa Boogie MKIIC+.png Hey Joe just saw your message: Mesa Boogie Mark IIc+ Simul Class, the real deal; Serial #13350, I've owned it since the day she was delivered from Petaluma California...I still have the inspection tag with Randall Smith's signature on it. It is the most versatile and toneful amp you will ever have the pleasure to play.

You can turn the master down and the volume and lead drive up and it will feed back harmonically at very low volumes...it can also be turned up and punish anything in its path-you can also plug an acoustic guitar into the effects return which bypasses the preamp section. With the EV 200 watt speaker it weighs over 100lbs.

It has a very bad attitude and once even shot another amp at a gig for needing an overdrive pedal...Lol.:tearsofjoy:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom