Mesa Boogie Quad Preamp .. which amp to use..

mrechtien

Hi Guys,

back in the days when I was carrying around my 12 HU Guitar Rack I owned a Mesa Boogie Quad preamp. While having sold all that stuff after going on with digital amps direct to FOH I still own my custom 2 2x12 speakers. When I've found someone with a tupe amp I'll create some IRs of this...

But meanwhile I'd like to get back the sound of the boogie preamp.
With which amp should I start for the rythm and lead channel - is it the usa lead I and II models?

Thanks for support!

Greets,
Markus

good question.. i would use the usa lead's or the mkII stuff and work from there. I had a quad for many years, and it's been many years ago but it was more mark type tones as the recto stuff was not out then as i remember.

For me its a while ago, too. But I still remember the feeling of the sound. It was not as "brutal" or "sharp" as the general recto sounds, while still not beeing muffled..

My current approach uses the usa lead 2 - but something does not feel comfortable. Its not silky and saturated enough in my opinion (off course the speakers are a big point ... I know)..

I'll give the markII a try!
Thank you!

The Quad is definitely an awesome preamp. i've been trying to tone match my quad, but i haven't had much success.

@wezzley: you already tried to tonematch the quad?! ... well, would it be rude to ask you for the recordings or some isolated recording?

I have a server where you could upload the files to - soundcloud is another idea (where quite more people would benefit)..

What do you think?

work with Das Metal. diezel, egnater, quad /4 channel amps sounds similar to that.. And mess with the last page where you can adjust the transformator hz, etc.. it really shapes the amp..

@mrechtien
sure, i have some time this weekend. i don't have a mic. i generally play my quad through the power stage of my diezel vh4 or a rocktron velocity (solid state). i'll try some stuff and see what sounds best.

any specific channel/setting you'd like?

I played one through a Rivera power amp, and the sound was killer. Use lead 2, it was a Mk2 circuit, I think.

Hi wezzley - you know people: when you give someone your pinky...?! ;)

But actually I'm most interested in the rhythm an lead sound so channel 2 or better 3 and 4 (depending on how you tuned them). Which cabs would you run it through?
My rhythm gain was somewhere about 8 when I'm not completely wrong - eq had a bit lowered mids ...
Again: this is years ago and details really hard to remember..

Thank you!

quick and dirty recording of mesa quad to axe ii through input 2. path = guitar -> quad main out A -> axe input 2 (Left) -> fx loop on grid -> cab, and recorded in reaper.

settings on quad (1-10):
channel 2 lead 2:
volume: 10 (pulled)
treble: 7.3 (pulled)
bass: 2.8
middle: 0.8
master: 6
lead drive: 10
lead master: 10 (pulled)
with EQ enabled, in classic "V"
(750 slider at about 25%)

The Quad is a Mark IIC+ on top and a Mark III on the bottom
so you'll prob get good results with the Axe's Mark II and Mark IV stuff

..I have one- haven't tried to TM it yet

Hi, due to a bad cold I didn't have much time to try out the different approaches, but on saturday I tested the Mark IIC+ 2 - turned on vintage tone settings and my first feeling was that this is *exactly* what I am looking for.

@wezzley: thank you for the recording, but to be honest the combination of my old "quad + engl 2x50 + 2 custom 2x12" celection" was more vintage and less gainy. But I feel like the Mark IIC+ 2 gives me a quite common feeling ;-)

Back
Top Bottom