Mesa 20/20 or the new Matrix 1 unit

NewcastleBrown

Inspired
I was wondering i currently run my axe2 into a mese boogie 20/20 and then into a pair of mesa 12" cabs with V30's fitted. The result i think is excellent except for the mesa fan noise at low volumes.

I'am constantly hearing on the forum and G66 website how good the matrix unit is and cannot make up my mind to buy one or not to buy one. Has anybody else had the same choice to make and how did it work out?

Thanks now for any feedback.

Judging by your username, you are probably somewhere in the NE of England.
I have heard the Matrix products and they really do sound good.
Perhaps check out one of the upcoming guitar shows, a good chance Matrix will be there and you could hear for yourself.
My Joomla

Yes almost there am in the Cumbria area Lake District etc.

G66 have a good returns policy so i might buy, then try against my mesa and return if i'am not as happy as the write ups say i will be.

I think the mesa boogie 20/20 1 rack unit is the best small valve power amp. I have used it for 4 years now first with the ultra and now the 2. But
maybe the matrix compliments the Axe2 better ????

Thanks

G66 have a good returns policy so i might buy, then try against my mesa and return if i'am not as happy as the write ups say i will be.

I think the mesa boogie 20/20 1 rack unit is the best small valve power amp. I have used it for 4 years now first with the ultra and now the 2. But

Thanks

Hi there,
You are welcome to purchase direct from us in the UK. The return policy is still there for you to use. If you decide the GT is not for you, we will refund you :)
Give me a yell at matt@matrixamplification.com and I will take care of you.
My best regards
Matt

G66 have good service. As you are in the UK you could also try Matrix direct. Certainly the Matrix will be lighter in weight, at the end of the day it is what works for you.
Media :: Matrix
If you give Matrix a call, I am sure they will help you out.

Amazing Matt answered while I was typing an answer, nice one.

I try and be here to answer questions whenever possible.
I have a video recorded at a luthiers we visited this week, that shows the fan noise difference between the gt and a mesa. I will upload it later tonight.
Couple of artist updates will go onto the facebook page and the main site at Matrix this weekend, ( had a good chat with a nice bloke called Nick earlier ).
Best regards
Matt

Thanks for taking the time to answer questions on your gear, Matt. Top shelf support.

Thanks

I can't speak for the Matrix other than what others have posted about it and I would buy one based on those reviews and what clips I have heard.

The Mesa on the other hand is placing a pretty good sonic foot print in your tone. That coupled with the V30 cabs is taking away a good deal of the versatility the Axe has to offer. If you don't care about that then that's fine you will still be able to dial in that type of tone from the Axe (some preset tuning work to be done here) and lose the maintenance hassles and weight of the Boogie. I have owned a few 20/20's in the past and it's a great little single space tube power amp but when used with the Axe personally I think there is way too much EL84/boogie flavor for the Axe to be used to it's full potential.

I just sold my Mesa 20/20 and got a Matrix GT1000X about a month ago. I also still use Mesa 1x12 Recto Cabs with the Matrix and AX II.
Simple answer get the Matrix. It is light years better than the Mesa when using a AX FXII. The subtleties between all the patches and amps really shine thru as they are not colored by the Mesa Tone. The Mesa is a great Amp if all you want is Mesa Sound. The Matrix was designed to work with guitar processors. Try one you will be impressed, plus Matt Pamela and the gang are great to work with.

I used to have a 20/20. Too much mid-range and no low-end. I ended replacing it with a VHT 2-50-2 which I loved. That was long ago before I went with an SLA-1 and now an RCF.

Nowadays if I went with a single space amp, I'd go with the Matrix so you can hear the Axe-FX can really do.

Thanks everyone i think i'am convinced enough to give the GT a go.

Thanks Matt i did realise i could purchase direct from Matrix in the UK. I will be taking the "Matrix Challenge" soon.

Thanks everyone, Cheers Danny

Hi mate i have just sold a mesa boogie 2:100 after purchasing the matrix gt1000fx.
Feel free to pm me and i will do my best to help you buddy.

Thanks everyone i think i'am convinced enough to give the GT a go.

Thanks Matt i did realise i could purchase direct from Matrix in the UK. I will be taking the "Matrix Challenge" soon.

Thanks everyone, Cheers Danny

Your welcome Danny, I look forward to hearing from you.
Gents such as Conflict above are more than happy to help you dial your patches in to suit.

My best regards
Matt

Ordered one.

Should be with me in the week. Thanks Conflict i may have some questions later in the week.

There could be a mesa 20/20 on ebay soon.

Regrds Danny

Hello,

Well i tried a matrix 1000 for almost a week and then sent it back and got a refund.

I dicided my mesa was best by a few percentages, i thought my mesa gave more bounce and life to the sound than the matrix did. My mesa responds better to how the guitar was being played i know people say that there are tweaks needed in the axe2 etc etc but tried lots of tweaks and at full volume ie band level the mesa was better every time. I think that thee axe2 is an amazing piece of kit but for me real valves are needed in the amplifiation stage thjey at that little bit of something (ring and magic) to the sound.

So the most annoying thing about my mesa and the reason i looked at the matrix in the first place is or was the fan noise at low volumes.

I dicided to sort this myself by retrofitting a pair of ultra quiet computer type fans after spotting something done o the boogie board forum. I fitted 2 x 80mm fans see the pictures there is a fair bit to explain here but the pictures say a thousand words. The result is super quiet fan operation at low volumes brillant. I do have a couple of issues which need resolving of which i'am sure i can (a lot to explain etc). There was to much electrical noise / current flow when i first tried to use the mesa's low voltage 5v suppy to its original fan so i ended up using a external dc power supply. The blue led's on the front tell me that both fans are running THEY ARE THAT QUIET.

Check out the pictures anyway i'am very happy with my Mesa Boogie 20/20.

Cheers Dan

Back
Top Bottom