Mesa 2:90

AdamIler

Really struggling with the 2:90. I feel like I was getting better tones out of the peavey solid state poweramp I was using before I got the Mesa 2:90. What am I doing wrong. I’ve turned off the cab simulation and the power amp simulation as well. I’ve messed around with different settings in the resonance control as well but can’t get the “rumble”. What else am I missing? Any other 2:90 owners or past owners?

Side note: I’m running four 2x12 cabs in stereo (2 on each side of drummer) vintage 30’s on the left side veteran 30’s on the right. The 5150 isn’t being used at all.

Attachments

• 0BED025E-A854-4837-B362-AFEB59945CDB.jpeg
    0BED025E-A854-4837-B362-AFEB59945CDB.jpeg
    117.2 KB · Views: 42
Might just be your amp settings in the fractal? Have you tried activating the "deep" function on the 2:90? If you can't get that to rumble, somethings def wrong

If power amp simulation is off what resonance settings are you referring to because the speaker page in the amp block would have no effect then. I suggest trying to keep power amp simulation on and lowering the HF and LF resonance values on the speaker page. You should be able to get a very good amp like sound this way. Of course it has some Mesa color but it should sound good still.

Definitely want to have the deep mode engaged at all times. Try rolling off the presence on the front of the unit and adjust to taste. A fresh set of power tubes will also help too if the ones you are using are starting to age.

My 2:90 makes just about everything in the Axe Fx II scream to life.

I ran a 2:90 with my AxeFx at one point as well. In my case I was using two Boogie Recto Cabs. Never cared for that combo. Went to a VHT 2/50/2 and it was great. Everything the 2:90 wasn’t. The 2:90 was dull and lifeless in that setup for me. That’s a pretty wide spread too. Are you able to get in the sweet spot set up that way? I wonder if that’s playing a role?

Try using the 5150 and see if you get a "rumble" out of it, if yes, then you need to keep messing with the 2:90 since I can get a good low pump on it with my Triaxis, but if no, then something might be selected on your AX8 since you used the other poweramp and said it "rumbled" for you.

Try new tubes. Mesa 2:90 is fucking amazing. Used for a decade. Now....Matrix GT1000FX(it's better IMO).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom