Mesa 2:90 or Fryette PowerStation?

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for the ultimate amplification solution for my AX8 - one that will reliably sound amazing in a variety of gig settings, including with a rhythm guitarist playing through a tube amp.

A few years ago, I gigged with an Eleven Rack, which I loved, but I found that, even running it through a Mesa 2:90 or Marshall 9100 via 4x12s, it was somewhat difficult to make it fit with my then-rhythm guitarist's all-tube setup (Mesa RoadKing).

Fast-forward, and I now have an AX8, which I love. I am playing in two bands. In one, I am the only guitarist, which is easier to manage. In the other, my rhythm guitarist has a Marshall - not sure which, but it's LOUD and cuts through everything.

I have tried just about everything to amplify my AX8, including an EHX .44 Magnum (hated it), Quilter ToneBlock 200 (like it a lot), ISP Stealth (meh), Matrix GT800 (meh), and Mesa 2:90 (love it when it works). My favorite is the Mesa, but it's very heavy, and mine needs work (volume varies radically while playing, deep switch doesn't work, 1/2 power switch doesn't work, etc.). Lately, I've been running the AX8 into the effects return of an EVH 5150 III (it's ok but feels like a waste). I am currently running into a Genz Benz 2x12 cab.

I've been planning to get a new Mesa 2:90 for months, but now I see that Fryette has the PowerStation in stock. My question is, how would the PowerStation compare to the Mesa, in terms of volume and tone? Would it be better? Worse? Similar?

I love that the PowerStation is smaller, lighter, WAY cheaper, and offers more controls to alter the tone (I know the AX8 can alter anything, but I appreciate having quick, simple, global, on-the-fly access).

I don't like that the PowerStation is mono, lower power (50 watts, as I understand), and I recognize that, with everything else I've purchased, I could've just bought a new Mesa in the first place.

So, anyone have experience with these?

P.S. I've also tried running my AX8 through QSC K10s. Sounds great, but doesn't fit with the tube-amp-wielding rhythm guitarists.

My .02 FWIW I have not heard or played through a Fryette power station and I hear they might be a little hard to get your hands on but I would bet it sounds really good! I have run a Boogie 2:90 befor didn't really like it that much. In contrast to a VHT 2:50:2 the VHT won hands down. I might be a little biased but I would have to go for the Fryette. Another thing you might consider is running your 212 vertically, better coverage!

Reactions: 777
Thanks! I never thought of running it vertically - good idea! Yeah, the Fryette has been out of stock for a LONG time, but it's in stock now. I'm strongly tempted!

Or maybe I should wait for the release of the Fryette LXII? It's stereo, and it looks like it would fit in one rack space, which would be cool...

Or maybe I should wait for the release of the Fryette LXII? It's stereo, and it looks like it would fit in one rack space, which would be cool...

There was some news on this a while back and it didn't sound very good. I believe Yek posted some info in a thread can't seem to find it maybe he will chime in but the jest of it was there were or are problems with money, sorry that's all I can remember. It would be a great option for running a traditional guitar cab for sure but the safe bet would be the VHT/Fryette 2:50:2.

The other option that comes to mind that would be really cool if you can find one is the Randal RT250! El34/6L6 power tubes... I know a lot of people that really like that power amp as well.

There was some news on this a while back and it didn't sound very good. I believe Yek posted some info in a thread can't seem to find it maybe he will chime in but the jest of it was there were or are problems with money, sorry that's all I can remember.

Problems with money was for their GPDI product kickstarter thing Yek referred too i believe. The problem with the LXII though is it still has not come to fruition after being announced in what 2012 or something? Their site originally showed summer of 2015, then they changed that to summer of 2016 and well now here we are. It was debuted at NAMM Jan. 2015.

I recently ordered a Fryette Power Station myself. It should be here Friday. I think any of the tube options are going to do good. Do you NEED stereo? I almost bought the carvin ts 100 but at the moment I think the supposedly flattest best tube PA option seems to be the Fryette.

The issues were with the extremely delayed GP/DI, that's another kind of device. That's been fixed now.

The LXII is not yet available. And AFAIK unknown when it will (ever) appear.

I use a PS with a 1x12 Mesa cab in some venues, or to tame a V:25, or boost it. IMO, just a killer killer sound. Love the PS. I'd never sell it. It works phenominally for the AxeFX or AX8. All my presets have a FXloop(out 2) out before cab block to plug into the PS, or other if needed, as needed. CLRs or FOH for Out 1. Sometimes I run both CLR's AND a 1x12 cab. THATS GLORIOUS. I have the first edition PS. Can't speak about the 2:90. HTH

Ok, thanks for the clarification on Fryette good to hear it has been fixed. Too bad about the LXII I remember that announcement it created a buzz here on the board.

I met with Steve years ago to look at the new Sig X and he seemed like a very nice knowledgeable guy that knows a lot about tube based power amps.

If anyone is interested I heard from Fryette this week and the plan to release the LXII shortly after the beginning of the year (2017). Evidently the success of the Powerstation 2 delayed its production.

We will see.

Yeah I grabbed a Power Station due to the delay for n the LXII. I loved it with my Kemper so hopefully it'll work just as well with the AX8.

The Power Station is an awesome power amp.

But there is a caveat: for best results the Resonance controls in the Amp block need to be neutral. That's a problem when the same Amp block is also to be used for a direct signal to FOH (where you want the Resonance settings).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom