mesa 2:100 or vht 2502 power amp??? Please help :)

Conflict

Inspired
Hey people i need serious help on this one.
I own an axe fx with a mesa 2:100 poweramp in to a zilla 2x12 cab.
Now i like the sound a lot, but all the high gain amp sounds are v similar indeed through this amp.
However the punch and oomph is monster monster!!
If i buy a vht 2/50/2 will this be as big sounding as the mesa?
It has to be the 2/50/2 as i have a good deal on one for me to go for this option.
Please keep to these amps, not interested in chimes about matrix etc..
Thanks so much.

Would really benefit from users that have tried both, Mark day preffered the mesa 2:100 many others say vht and i am gonna buy it tomorrow if you guys think i should go this route.

If you want to NOT sound similar. Buy something thats not coloring your sound that much.. IE something more flat sounding. The mesa sounds badass. But it gives your tone a color. That's why it sounds kind of similar. My ultra sounds great. I'm wondering if i should keep that setup with the mesa. Got one sound that i just love. Just like when you buy THAT Fender or whatever. MAGIC!!!!!! Probably the best sound i've heard from any rig. The closest was a combination of mesa RoadKing (3x2x12 cabs) and a Stiletto (2x2x12 cab). In stereo with a Vox Big Ben Overdrive and some stomps. WHOA!!!!

I think it is the Eggie sim. It's an almost clean sound i always wanted. I'll try to match it :D

Still i now prefer the more frfr thing. Get more out of every ampsim... And it feels really good. But i may keep my other rig.

So if i had one wish. The Eggie combined with a Mesa 50/50 (sim)

(trough my custom 2x12 greenback and 2x12 V30 cabs :) )

Thanks man the mesa does indeed sound huuge!
Any vht owners that can chirp in on this to help me make the choice?

Never used the Mesa - but used to use the VHT. Honestly, the VHT will sound less coloured/more neutral BUT the biggest issue is probably that your using a real cab. Im not sure ANY amp, be it the VHT or something like the Matrix, would give you more variation in sounds between amp sims. They will all give you a different GENERAL feel across ALL sims (ir the Mesa will sound like the mesa, the VHT will sound like the VHT etc) but that will be applied to all sims.

i use the Matrix now, after the VHT. While I get some subtl differences between sims - its not that great, particularly between "genres" (ie, cleans, classic crunch, high gain etc) - and thats will both amps. If you want that you need to use cab sims - so FRFR IMO.

Hey paul i saw your vid ages ago of the axe and vht v matrix.
I prefered the vht then and i want to stick to valves.
What i wanna know is how the vht stacks up to the mesa in terms of thump and power.
I know the vht is more transparent than mesa 2:100 which is good as i use the slo and 5105 models.
but will it have the same mosterous grind that the mesa has?
Or wil it sound weedy

I haven't used the Mesa 2:100 or the VHT 2502...but I have used the Mesa 2:90 in the past, and I currently use the VHT 2902. I would pick the VHT over the Mesa any day. The Mesa is very bassy and more "flubby". If it is ONLY that distinct Mesa low end that you are after, stick with the Mesa.

The VHT is more articulate. The Recto sims through it sound exactly like my Mesa Dual Rectifier boosted with the Maxon OD808. It sounds HUGE through my Mesa Rectifier cab. The cleans seems have more sparkle on them through the VHT. It's also more neutral than than the Mesa (but any valve amp will add its own colour). I think you'll be happier with the VHT, but thats just a personal opinion.

I'm based in London as well. Happy for you to come and try out the VHT next to your Mesa. PM me if you like.

Harsha

Hi Conflict, I have a 2502 and a simul 290. My cabs are 2x1x12 Mesa with ev12L's. Both are great amps. Love em both. The Mesa is huge, and as mostly I'm restricted with stage volumes, I find the 2502 allows me to drive a the tubes a bit harder. Even switched down the Mesa is big and takes over a lot of space. The 2502 highlights the preset and I feel keeps the strat sounds more stratty, tele sound more like a tele and so on. I have a triaxis and the 290 is by design I guess a great match, but the 2502 isn't so great. But with the axe fx just works so well. More sparke on tops and tighter bottom. I often have gigs where I have to use ears (iem) and lower vol, but still try and use the 2502 with 1x12 pointing back on legs to help sustain. Works well. Anything fryette turns out is great stuff. Good luck and hope I've been of help.

Good luck with it.

BTW, I wasnt suggesting the Matrix as you clearly stated you wanted valves (though the 1000 series is even closer than the 800 was) - I was just saying for getting the propper distiction between different amp sims, you really need to use cab sims as well. Even with "real amps" the high gain heads sound quite similar through the same cab.

Im sure youll be happy with the VHT - I really liked mine, and I only look to replace it because of the weight (I have back issues), and actually DID keep it even with the Matrix uhtil i needed money to fund the upgrade to the AFX2. I still miss it at times.

Steve lost the VHT name via the courts and someone else now owns it and builds amps under that name.

In a wiki page Steve must have created, putting the most unrealistically positive spin on his court battle, "On January 1, 2009 the company name changed to Steven Fryette Design, Inc. Under the brand, Fryette Amplification, the company continues to manufacture all of the products that were current under the VHT name. "

The reality is he used the name as collateral and defaulted on the loan.

Fryette Amplification - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Haven't tried or used anything manufactured after the change over.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom