Merging Presets in Axe Fx III

There’s a whole section in Cooper Carter’s class about consolidating multiple presets into one.

I personally would like to take my preset and merge it with another complete preset. So, that both would be seperated completely in a seperate path but in one preset. Like building a preset with two amps side by side. How you guys are thinking about it isn’t what I’m thinking. And yes, if you were just going to randomly merge two presets that would be nonsense.
But you didn't say that and you didn't set any "boundaries" in your wish.

However, even with what you're proposing there will still be challenges.

Many presets require multiple grid rows. What if you want to merge 2 presets like that?

both would be seperated completely in a seperate path but in one preset. Like building a preset with two amps side by side.
There are lots of examples of dual amp/cab blocks in a preset, and software could strip off the old IN/OUT blocks from one preset and tie both signal paths together at the ends.

The problem of an automated approach is that you would likely be consigning the resulting preset to have unnecessarily high CPU demands because of duplicated blocks and/or unoptimized paths, unnecessary shunts, etc. We don't have an optimizer available, so it takes a human to analyze the signal flow and make the preset work its best. And, at that point the human should just do it all.

If all you want to do is tie two presets together at the IN and OUT blocks, that's pretty easy to do by hand by exporting the blocks into the library using Preset>Save as Blocks in Library then opening that folder and importing them individually and moving them around to reflect the old flows; Making it all work well together is what gets hard because the scenes have to be reconciled/merged/modified, and controlling it has to be organized and that's where simple software would never suffice.

Honestly, I don't think this is a practical idea and as @mwd said it'd be a nightmare to develop and support.

There are lots of examples of dual amp/cab blocks in a preset, and software could strip off the old IN/OUT blocks from one preset and tie both signal paths together at the ends.

The problem of an automated approach is that you would likely be consigning the resulting preset to have unnecessarily high CPU demands because of duplicated blocks and/or unoptimized paths, unnecessary shunts, etc. We don't have an optimizer available, so it takes a human to analyze the signal flow and make the preset work its best. And, at that point the human should just do it all.

If all you want to do is tie two presets together at the IN and OUT blocks, that's pretty easy to do by hand by exporting the blocks into the library using Preset>Save as Blocks in Library then opening that folder and importing them individually and moving them around to reflect the old flows; Making it all work well together is what gets hard because the scenes have to be reconciled/merged/modified, and controlling it has to be organized and that's where simple software would never suffice.

Honestly, I don't think this is a practical idea and as @mwd said it'd be a nightmare to develop and support.
Maybe someday when there is a huge amount of headroom in processing power. Who knows

Maybe someday when there is a huge amount of headroom in processing power. Who knows
All sorts of things change as more powerful and efficient CPU become available.

The important thing is that Fractal has a great vision and passion for this technology and want to keep improving it. If we like what they’re doing and want to see even more we need to spread the word.

This says it well...

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/how-can-i-help.70707/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom