Memory man delay

Probably. I've never used a real memory man and I know nothing about it. I just changed the delay in my clean preset to that one instead of the digital delay I had before and it sounds great. Ignorance is bliss I guess.
Yeah. Most important is if it sounds good. Thanks for the tip. Allways usefull ;)

And a big thanks to Fractal for once again bringing great new stuff to the table :D

Digital Mono is just another type like Deluxe Mind Guy and Analog Mono; I think what you mean is the Mono delay config/algorithm. And I agree, it's probably just a settings preset, which is what people have been asking for WRT warm, analog-style delays.

Well, I meant what I said. But it's semantics I suppose. The Digital Mono is the Effect Type that I consider the actual model with 2290 w/ mod, Analog Mono, Vintage Digital being settings only variations. But for all I know, the block itself only has one "model" and exposes a subset while defaulting others in the Effect Types.

Whatever the case, my point was really that the reaction to having the new Effect Type is kind of interesting in a way because it's always been there... it shows flexibility of the AxeFX and the power of suggestion :0)

Whats important is that its there now, even if its just in the form of a few parameter tweaks. Like, the potential for me to be a better guitar player is here. But am I tapping into it? No, because I'm just too busy Im afraid. If one day a divine being came along and magically unleashed all my hidden guitar playing potential, I would be really happy! This delay models thing is kind of like that. I hope this approach continues in future FW.

Well, I meant what I said. But it's semantics I suppose. The Digital Mono is the Effect Type that I consider the actual model with 2290 w/ mod, Analog Mono, Vintage Digital being settings only variations. But for all I know, the block itself only has one "model" and exposes a subset while defaulting others in the Effect Types.

Whatever the case, my point was really that the reaction to having the new Effect Type is kind of interesting in a way because it's always been there... it shows flexibility of the AxeFX and the power of suggestion :0)

I was thinking the same thing.

Last edited:
Didn't know about the new delay algos. I assumed it was only amp updates again and no effects. But this makes me want to update finally since 6 months or so. Thanks for pointing it out! and thanks FAS!

SO glad this thread (and the 1.02, of corse) are here. That pro, in-your-head, life long quest, delay is such an essential part of a tone! Might be late for work today... All IMHO. (...and not sure why my status is like a newb - I've had my IIXL since it came out and have been on here.) Thanks to all.

I was thinking the same thing. Even more interesting since it appears that Cliff duplicated sounds from Helix rather than duplicating an actual EHX Memoryman and other BBD delay units.

o_O

Probably because the Helix is so accurate. ;)

I was thinking the same thing. Even more interesting since it appears that Cliff duplicated sounds from Helix rather than duplicating an actual EHX Memoryman and other BBD delay units.
Wth?? I assume this is a joke? What lead you to see such an "apperiance"?

Whats important is that its there now, even if its just in the form of a few parameter tweaks. Like, the potential for me to be a better guitar player is here. But am I tapping into it? No, because I'm just too busy Im afraid. If one day a divine being came along and magically unleashed all my hidden guitar playing potential, I would be really happy! This delay models thing is kind of like that. I hope this approach continues in future FW.
Yeah, and some of us (at least one) are not very skilled tweakers and really appreciate the addition and others like it.

I don't know about you guys, but I'd be perfectly happy to never receive any new amp models if it meant that we got more effects presets like this one. I still miss the octaver from the Ultra that was modeled after the Boss OC-2.

Wth?? I assume this is a joke? What lead you to see such an "apperiance"?

I've been informed further privately and revised my posts, but based on what was available publicly I don't think I was unreasonable, so I'll leave the following explanation intact.

Not a joke. If Cliff had a Memory Man and the BBD delays and actually modeled them, he can certainly say so. To me it appeared that he started with the Helix and went from there. APPEARED. If incorrect and he cares, he can say so. I don't see anything wrong with this frankly. Certain things in one modeler will inspire the maker of another to add a feature or a model or something in their own.

Here are the posts that gave me the appearance I mentioned above. Unreasonable?

On November 11:

I really like some the delays on the Helix. I would actually like to duplicate the Adriatic and Elephant Man delays on the Axe, but I'm not sure how to do it.

FA: "We just got one. I'll see if I can make something similar.

LINK: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threa...ended-consequences.106169/page-2#post-1271923

On November 13:

FA - "The amp models in the Helix don't sound like those in the Axe-Fx. They are very different, sometimes drastically. Whether that appeals to you or not is up to you."

LINK:http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threa...ended-consequences.106169/page-3#post-1272954

To me this indicates that Cliff listened to the Helix.

On November 14:

FA -"IMO, what people like about analog delays are the narrow bandwidth. The noise, aliasing and crud is debatable. The early analog delays typically used fixed anti-aliasing and reconstruction filters. These filters were designed for the worst-case scenario: maximum delay time. Typically at maximum delay time the clock frequency was only 4-5 kHz IIRC which means the filters need to be < 2 kHz. One popular pedal had the filter at 1.75 kHz. They filters also have a very steep cut-off, typically at least 4th-order but usually 6th order. The slope is given by order x 6 so for 6th-order you would set the slope to 36 dB/oct. For those who are interested there's a paper on DAFX about it."

Link: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threa...ended-consequences.106169/page-3#post-1273176

The new delay settings (my understanding based on existing delay blocks, so new settings of existing parameters) were delivered with the update on November 14. No mention of having the Memory Man or BBD delays. Cliff's stated goal was to try and come up with something similar to the BBD and Memory Man models on the Helix per a user's request.

Nothing nefarious or critical in my post.

Last edited:
o_O

Probably because the Helix is so accurate. ;)

No, because that's what someone asked for and he had one. No idea if it's accurate. In fact, the Adriatic delay on the Helix is intentionally not accurate. It's a tweaked version by one of the L6 programmers, Ben Adrian. It's pretty cool actually.

Yeah, and some of us (at least one) are not very skilled tweakers and really appreciate the addition and others like it.

Exactly. The power of these things is such that perhaps this one required the man who put it all together. Simeon shared many delay settings but apparently users didn't think he quite nailed these. And in this case Cliff was able to create some very cool sounding delay setting that users asked for without writing new code. Certainly a win-win and it demonstrates how strong the code is as it exists.

Back
Top Bottom