Megadeth Countdown to Extinction & Youthanasia Tone?

MetalDood

Anyone have Megadeth patches from the Coundown and Youthanasia/Marty Friedman era? What kind of amp/cab/stomp settings?

MetalDood said:
Anyone have Megadeth patches from the Coundown and Youthanasia/Marty Friedman era? What kind of amp/cab/stomp settings?

I believe Youthanasia was all Marshalls, usual scooped trebly Megadeth sound... A big part of Friedman's sound is the Seymour duncan JB-jr and no tone control on his signature Jackson Kelly. It starts with that pickup, since the peak in the upper mids is higher than with a full-size humbucker.

Countdown: on record there is some dispute over what was used. Bogner Fish preamp? Hughes and Ketner?
Anyone know for sure?

JMZ93 said:
MetalDood said:

I believe Youthanasia was all Marshalls, usual scooped trebly Megadeth sound... A big part of Friedman's sound is the Seymour duncan JB-jr and no tone control on his signature Jackson Kelly. It starts with that pickup, since the peak in the upper mids is higher than with a full-size humbucker.

Countdown: on record there is some dispute over what was used. Bogner Fish preamp? Hughes and Ketner?
Anyone know for sure?

I'm very familiar with the JB, however, I heard the Kelly wasn't the main guitar (or the only guitar) he used on Youthanasia and Countdown. I heard he used CAE preamps, Marshalls, and Boss pedals for those particular albums as well. I would doubt the impact of the JB on Marty's earlier sounds, especially since there were a number of humbuckers (like Dimarzio) that had better uppper midrange punch. In my opinion, the JB sounds kind of generic. When people listen to those albums, I don't think they hear a signature Seymour Duncan tone.

I also read somewhere that he's always had other people setup his amps for him because he doesn't like tweaking his sound. If that's the case then perhaps Dave setup all his amps in the studio for Youthanasia and Countdown?

Wikipedia says the Fish preamp came out a year after that album was recorded so it's unlikely it was a Bogner preamp. I never listened to that album and thought it sounded like Bogner either, but who knows? Maybe he had some kind of prototype.

The closest Friedman-era Megadeth tone I heard was someone who recored with a Mesa Boogie. I'd like to hear some Friedman sounds on the AxeFX though.

Back
Top Bottom