AFIII Megadeth “Hangar 18”

Most outstanding Rufus! I didn't know Cliff liked Megadeth, I have a newfound respect for him now. :cool: lol.

Great playing, Megadeth is probably my favorite band. There was a Megadeth tribute band here in Chicago for a while called Highspeedirt. They were freaking awesome, I had the pleasure of sharing the stage with them several times with my Metallica tribute band The Four Horsemen. The lead singer did most of the leads and all the Friedman leads, hell he was doing leads while he was singing! We were usually the headliner but they were the better band. Last time I saw them he had gotton himself a black Jackson Warrior USA, youda thought he'd have gotton a Kelly, anyway.

I've recorded a few Metallica songs, but don't think my fingers are quite agile enough anymore do pull of Marty. :(

Again, awesome job! I can't say anything about the recording quality, I haven't finished my new studio yet, and my headphones (Blue Mix Fi's ;)) haven't arrived yet, so I'm listening on my laptop speakers :(. The leads really jump out on this thing, it was kick ass!

Most outstanding Rufus! I didn't know Cliff liked Megadeth, I have a newfound respect for him now. :cool: lol.

Great playing, Megadeth is probably my favorite band. There was a Megadeth tribute band here in Chicago for a while called Highspeedirt. They were freaking awesome, I had the pleasure of sharing the stage with them several times with my Metallica tribute band The Four Horsemen. The lead singer did most of the leads and all the Friedman leads, hell he was doing leads while he was singing! We were usually the headliner but they were the better band. Last time I saw them he had gotton himself a black Jackson Warrior USA, youda thought he'd have gotton a Kelly, anyway.

I've recorded a few Metallica songs, but don't think my fingers are quite agile enough anymore do pull of Marty. :(

Again, awesome job! I can't say anything about the recording quality, I haven't finished my new studio yet, and my headphones (Blue Mix Fi's ;)) haven't arrived yet, so I'm listening on my laptop speakers :(. The leads really jump out on this thing, it was kick ass!

Thanks for the great compliments! And what a cool story too, thanks for sharing! The recording quality is nothing amazing, I pulled the backing track off youtube and put it into Logic X, no post production on the guitars. Thanks again, I recorded the first part of Holy Wars using the same patches, put up another post about it but you can check it out here (the nylon string part is actually Marty, I don't own one and haven't learned it yet anyway so I just put his version in there).

Last edited:
Thanks for the great compliments! And what a cool story too, thanks for sharing!

Thank YOU sir. :) Can't wait to play it again when I get my headphones!

Holy Wars:

Got mic? Let's hear some vocals while your playing that! ;) lol

Come on man ya gotta finish it, the rest is easy… :rolleyes:

Marty is probably my favorite guitarist, up there with Randy Rhoads and Yngvie. His only lead I could almost play is in Tornado Of Souls, I tried Symphony of Destruction and Poison Was the Cure, right, fuggettaboutit.

Wow, what a guitarist.

BTW, is that the Suhr Modern in you avatar photo?

Great stuff, thanks! And beyond that, I , having somehow missed Mr Friedman’s career completely, just spent a little while listening to some of his recent solo stuff...truly accomplished and mind blowing ...and a FAS artist as well...and he even has a Ramones connection, and I couldn’t help thinking what a interesting looking supergroup Friedman could have had with his fellow well-coiffed rock icons the late and lamented Joey Ramone , and Howard Stern......:)

Thank YOU sir. :) Can't wait to play it again when I get my headphones!

Holy Wars:

Got mic? Let's hear some vocals while your playing that! ;) lol

Come on man ya gotta finish it, the rest is easy… :rolleyes:

Marty is probably my favorite guitarist, up there with Randy Rhoads and Yngvie. His only lead I could almost play is in Tornado Of Souls, I tried Symphony of Destruction and Poison Was the Cure, right, fuggettaboutit.

Wow, what a guitarist.

BTW, is that the Suhr Modern in you avatar photo?
It's incredible to me that Dave can play those rhythm parts while singing, insane! Marty is amazing, I've gotten back into his playing lately(when I was younger I couldn't physically play his stuff so I just never learned it).
And that's not the Suhr in my avatar, that's a Wolfgang, here's a pic of my Suhr

Attachments

• IMG_1687.JPG
    IMG_1687.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 16
Joey Ramone , and Howard Stern......:)

LOL!! Well he was on David Letterman w Megadeth, A Tout Le Monde "The song's chorus, "à tout le monde, à tous mes amis, je vous aime, je dois partir", translated to English is respectively: "To all the world, to all my friends, I love you, I have to leave." Oooooh, hmm, I knew it was something depressing i just could't remember, and Train of Consequences, both on Youthanasia; I guess Dave "Mustaine" didn't know it's spelled "euthanasia."

So you're still a youngin eh. Yeah, I'll tell ya growing up in the '80's was pretty cool, even though the album above was in 1994. Very cool that you get into this stuff. While some of the new stuff is cool, you can't beat the guitar players of the 80's, or 70's for that matter, except maybe Synyster Gates. There's probably others I'm just out of touch. o_O

(the nylon string part is actually Marty, I don't own one and haven't learned it yet anyway so I just put his version in there).

WHAT! HEY!

Well, Marty did it on his Kelly live, so we'll let it slide for now, but get that sucker finished! ;)

Great stuff, thanks! And beyond that, I , having somehow missed Mr Friedman’s career completely, just spent a little while listening to some of his recent solo stuff...truly accomplished and mind blowing ...and a FAS artist as well...and he even has a Ramones connection, and I couldn’t help thinking what a interesting looking supergroup Friedman could have had with his fellow well-coiffed rock icons the late and lamented Joey Ramone , and Howard Stern......:)
Thank you! Yeah Marty is incredible, such weird technique but amazing phrasing and note choice.

It's incredible to me that Dave can play those rhythm parts while singing, insane!

Yeah he doesn't get enough credit, it's not enough he got "axed" from Metallica and still gets grief till this day. I'm a big fan of his old guitar choice; the Jackson King V, USA of course. I've had over a dozen of them, outstanding guitars.

Thank you! Yeah Marty is incredible, such weird technique but amazing phrasing and note choice.

He does kinda hold the pick funny don't he.

Grate Job... Any change to convert this patch to AxeFx 2 XL+?
Sorry for the slow reply, i'm on the road. I only have an AX8 and a III, so can't convert this patch as it has a tone match. You can find some youtube clips of Marty's solos and tone match that. I think I used the HBE model for the amp, and possibly a drive in front(usually a tubescreamer with level on 10 and drive on 0).

Sorry for the slow reply, i'm on the road. I only have an AX8 and a III, so can't convert this patch as it has a tone match. You can find some youtube clips of Marty's solos and tone match that. I think I used the HBE model for the amp, and possibly a drive in front(usually a tubescreamer with level on 10 and drive on 0).

I think Marty's best tone was on Rust In Peace. I played in a Metallica tribute band but copied Marty's tone, I used a lot of midrange boost around 800 to 900 Hz. I was running an MP1 and a Quadraverb at the time (haha, who wasn't?) with an Alesis 3630 compressor for compression and gate. When I hit that footswitch everybody knew! It was like totally flipping the EQ.

@nhgtrman What amp did you use, sorry if you already posted it.

Edit. Ope! I see it in your last post, what's an HBE? o_O

@nhgtrman It's MEGADETH, with MARTY! It's not going away! \m/ \m/

Hello me it's me again ;) da da, dunk. Hey, resurrecting your thread, working on anything new from the King of Guitarists, Mr. Friedman?

I could probably find this myself but do you know the name of this guitarist who followed Marty? I'll say this, he's NO Marty, Chris Broderick was close but this guy's tone and technique is nothing like Marty's:

Starts off pretty rough but gets better once the sound guy starts paying attention, reminds me of most of the shows I've done where they just throw you up on stage without a sound check and tell you to just play!

I've been watching these live shows the last three days! Hammersmith 1992 and Rock in Rio 1991 are both pretty good, back when Dave had hair extensions... ;)

Ok now I'm watching a concert from 2000 Y2KV era! (on my iPhone w cans). Dave's lead guitarist has straight medium length dark hair and is playing a black Les Paul, I can't think of his name. Hah he can't hit that high note in Holy Wars cuz he only has 22 frets...:p Is he the guy from Savatage?

P.S. Sorry if you're not that into Megadeth ;).

Last edited:
I've been on the road for the last month, going home later today finally! I haven't been practicing much but when I get back I may try out some more Marty stuff. Al Pitrelli I believe initially replaced Marty but it was Glen Drover that was there for a bit till Chris Broderick came on board. I think Kiko is the best choice they've had since Marty, he's incredible!

Last edited:
Kiko huh, I haven't heard much of his stuff, I'll have to check him out. Been listening to a LOT of Live Megadeth the last 4 days, (in honor of the new Jackson King V I just purchased ;)), Mostly with Marty, and some with Al and Chris.

Btw, when I did a search your demo of the preset for Marty's lead tone for Hanger 18 came up. Hey, whacha doin using the neck pickup, you know Marty's Kelly had only one pickup, the bridge, A Duncan TB4 (JB) "Have you seen the bridge?" "I ain't seen the bridge," "Where's that confounded bridge?"
Sorry another sub reference :oops:.

Dude, Shawn Drover was the drummer, you must need some sleep ;).

Bet your glad to be home, that's a long time you were away. Welcome back! I see you're in Vegas, I have a guitar from there I bought about a month ago. Man was its neck messed up when it hit the humidity of Chicago! The D and high E were both fretting out like the nut slots were cut too deep, so I bitched out the seller :rolleyes:. He told me to try the truss rod, which I did, it helped but now the neck is forward bowed too much. As in playing Marty's solo's, there's a fine line between horrible and perfection.

Speaking of horrible, could you tell me, is this Al or Marty?

There's a nice treat at the 24:36 mark, be sure to watch for it ;).

I guess it's Marty, but I saw him do the solo's for Hanger 18 and they were horrible. I thought to myself that can't be Marty? I forget if it was this show, but it was pretty bad. Here's an idea, you need a job??? ;)

Back
Top Bottom