medium to high end FRFR

etzel

Inspired
given the "fire" around the other topic with the same stuff, i decided to look around. i am not sure what am i willing to pay, but want to look into it. lately i've been playing more and more direct, so am more serious about getting my personal monitor

i understand there are brands that represent that high end category, but just searching around i am overwhelmed by the information and the many models available

i would need some specific brands/models to take the first steps and build up my search around.

any insight, opinion, review is much appreciated

Personally I would establish a budget and go from there. The higher end gear starts to put you in a place where test driving is not a viable option. Middle of the road gear $800-1200 you still have this option to a degree.

I've been asking this question in different ways myself. One easy thing to do is the read the specs and eliminate any model that is too heavy. :cry Also, you could check to see if there are any high-end retailers, distributors or sound-reinforcement companies in your area that might be able to provide some information.

I found an EV SxA 250 used for just over $500 and it is, to my ears, better than the QSC K12 that I had auditioned (as well as numerous others). It has more of a 'guitar cab' sound and feel to it.
It ended my search for both, FRFR and power amp/guitar cab solutions for using the AxeFx.
If you find yourself near Myrtle Beach S.C. you are welcome to hear it.

Etzel, maybe you should clarify what you mean by medium/high end. I tend to think of medium starting above the K12, say $800 to $1200 street price.

Last edited:
Yeah, the more I read about this, the more it becomes apparent that my FBT Verve 12ma is considered low end in the FRFR world.

Yep, Low end starts at the $99 mark and runs up to that 800 spot. So the Verve 12mA might be considered the low end of the middle of the road gear even so it should please most that listen to it.

Interesting. I thought my A7X's were mid-range until I started poking around a little. Crimeny.

Interesting. I thought my A7X's were mid-range until I started poking around a little. Crimeny.
The prices we're talking about are for stage monitors/mains, not studio monitors. Studio monitors tend to cost quite a bit less for the same level of accuracy.

i would consider in this conversation the starting point for the "medium" the Verve 12ma. i dont think it is that medium. given the fact that the high end is about 3k, it certainly isnt but for the sake of subject, i'd start from there

i am aware that most of the people(including myself) didnt try any of this. i am hoping that those who did would help out a bit

i would go with prices up to 2k $ as a reference, but looking into the european market

For the sake of this conversation if we said:
Low $99-$1k (USD)
Med $1k-$2k
High $2k-$3k

The problem is....most of the reviews and shared experiences on the forum are with units in the Low end price range.
There isn't a lot of info on Med and High end units. It's too bad they're not more accessable to audition, because I'd love to hear the difference between a Low, Med, High in order to establish my point of diminishing return.

And those price tiers are meant to describe unpowered (passive) speaker cabs, right?

My Verve 12ma has 400w of (solid-state) class G amplification inside it and it only cost me $900 (USD). The passive version is commensurately less, putting it (the product line) firmly in the Low End category. Don't get me wrong; I like my Verve, but it is sobering to think just how much I'm probably not hearing out of my Axe-FX.

And those price tiers are meant to describe unpowered (passive) speaker cabs, right?

Yes, I was intending that to describe Powered boxes.
I too have a Verve 12ma...but paid 1k after taxes, etc.

I love my Verve. Prior to getting it, I had been using a QSC hpr122i for a while. When I switched to the Verve, I could hear so much more clarity when switching amp sims...listening to reverb trails etc. It was a "wow, I didn't know what I was missing" moment. I was really excited about the increase in clarity. So the fact that the Verve may be considered 'low end' gets me excited to hear what a mid to high end monitor would bring out in the Axe. I just wish there was someplace to audition some high end boxes.

hi there, does anybody know if the jbl, jrx 112m passive monitors are any good with the axe as i can get a deal on them and am happy with my power amp? thanks for the help :)

hi there, does anybody know if the jbl, jrx 112m passive monitors are any good with the axe as i can get a deal on them and am happy with my power amp? thanks for the help :)

I own 2 of jrx115 and I think they sound just fine with my ultra I like em better than using my 1960a cab I got them cuz it was a closeout deal. I'm really happy

send from Droid

Based only on the price I'd guess the jrx112m doesn't qualify, as the thread is titled, as medium to high end FRFR.

Back
Top Bottom