Meaty Uberschall Metal Patch

Felix

Inspired
Hi,

here is a Bogner patch I came up with lately: http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8891313

The tuning is drop Db and since I was too lazy to tune to drop Db, I tuned to drop D and dropped another halfstep with the fixed harmonizer. As IRs i used the Redwirez Metal experiment Recto V30 cab.
It was recorded directly in my crappy onboard soundcard.

I really like the sound and this is probably going to be my new favourite recording patch.
I'd like to here what you think about it!

Edit:
Patch included

Attachments

• Uber Meat.syx
    2 KB · Views: 108
Pleased to hear you like it. Unfortunately, I don't have a midi interface anymore, but I can post my settings:

Signal Chain:
Filter > (Pitch) > Euro Uber > Reverb (!) > Stereo Cab

Filter:
Copied from the wiki:
"Set the type to Highpass. 2. Attach the Envelope controller to the Frequency parameter. Use default settings for the Envelope parameters. 3. Set the Scale to 40%, Offset to around 22%."

Amp:
Drive: 5.43
Bass: 8.58
Mid: 2.83
Treble: 6.02 (Bright on)
Pres: 6.06
Depth: 5
Bright Cap 0.748

Reverb:
Sm Room
Time: 1.04
Pre Dly: 20.7
Low Cut: 100.4
Mix: 8.4
Level: 1 db
Size: 20.1
Color: 3.03
Tail Dly: 60.0
Early Level -10.1
Reverb Level -3

Stereo Cab:
(The by far most important thing)
1 V30 Recto SM 57 Cap Edge 1" -6db Scoop
2 V30 Recto SM 57 Cap Edge off Axis 0" -3db Scoop

Both panned to center

Here the link:
http://fractalaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=118444#p118444

Hmm.. I'm afraid the link is down :(
If mike allows it, I could load them up.

EDIT:
Good News:
Mike allowed me to load them up here. Thx, mike!

WARNING!!!!!!
=================================
These IRs may cause vomiting, diarrhea and may engender an extreme dislike for pie. In other words, they may suck! They are not part of the standard Red Wire collection. They were a fun, little experiment we posted on a forum thread along with some other IRs to see if they would be useful for metal. I repeat, they are NOT part of the regular collection as they have the mids scooped out, making them most useful for taming a build-up of low-mids and probably pretty poor for everything else. At Red Wire, we strive to capture our IRs without preamp coloration or post-processing, so please do not gauge the quality of our collection based on these IRs, even if you happen to like them. Please DO NOT post these IRs without also posting this warning. Thanks for listening.

Attachments

• Red Wire Experiments.zip
    56.7 KB · Views: 383
Did anyone try these settings?

if (Answer = yes) {
How to you like it?
Does it work for you?
} else {
try it ;)
}

Tips for the fixed harmonizer:
1. before the amp (shoult be clear)
2. a bit of a level boost ~3db
3. turn the tracking to 0 - that gives you a clearer sound and less latency

Felix said:
Did anyone try these settings?

if (Answer = yes) {
How to you like it?
Does it work for you?
} else {
try it ;)
}

Tips for the fixed harmonizer:
1. before the amp (shoult be clear)
2. a bit of a level boost ~3db
3. turn the tracking to 0 - that gives you a clearer sound and less latency

Thanks for sharing the settings. This is a great metal patch. With my setup, I had to dial the bass way down otherwise it would get too muddy. Other than that, the settings you posted work pretty good. I like the way the low notes purr. :cool:

Felix said:
I'm using active EMG 81s in my LTD M-400. I really love this guitar.

i'll try it out.. the 81 is why the other guy had to dial down the bass.. those are pretty bright pickups.

Disclaimer for the IRs posted on this thread:

WARNING!!!!!!
These IRs may cause vomiting, diarrhea and may engender an extreme dislike for pie. In other words, they may suck! They are not part of the standard Red Wire collection. They were a fun, little experiment we posted on a forum thread along with some other IRs to see if they would be useful for metal. I repeat, they are NOT part of the regular collection as they have the mids scooped out, making them most useful for taming a build-up of low-mids and probably pretty poor for everything else. At Red Wire, we strive to capture our IRs without preamp coloration or post-processing, so please do not gauge the quality of our collection based on these IRs, even if you happen to like them. Please DO NOT post these IRs without also posting this warning. Thanks for listening.

Thanks Felix for asking me whether you could post them :)

Felix said:
As IRs i used the Redwirez Metal experiment Recto V30 cab.

That's the second time I see "Redwirez Metal Experiment" on this board. What's up with that, is it an update?

Edit: Allright, found a thread about this.

By the way, chunky clip. Sounds great. I'll try your settings, but for some reason, I can never reach this kind of results with my Axe. The JB4 are not ideal for this.

Edit: Well, well... I think your patch is the first one I've tried from another user that I could use almost as is with my guitar. Clark Kent, for example, posted the settings from his patch recently, and while his clips sound great, his patches on my guitar are completely unuseable without heavy modifications. Excellent job man.

Felix said:
EDIT:
Good News:

Hello Felix. Im new to the Axe-fx and I was wondering if you could explain what you have uploaded here? Is it the patches?

The metal experiment was mainly me whining about most IRs having too much thump and not enough highs and for that being unusable. These kind guys at Redwire helped me out though. Now that I know a lot more about how to use my Axe-Fx I know there would've been a million things I could've fixed and not blame the IRs since the RW IRs are amazing as they are. Although the redwirez IRs are amazing I went back to the stock CALI cab. It's a perfect IR for me.

Hansen said:
Felix said:
EDIT:
Good News:

Hello Felix. Im new to the Axe-fx and I was wondering if you could explain what you have uploaded here? Is it the patches?

These are only the Impulse Responses (=cabinet simulation) I've used in this clip.

Here is another Clip: http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8950275
Same Settings, different cab. This time I used the T75V30 mix of the new redwirez uberkab. (cap 0" (a bit louder) and cap edge 3")
What do you think about it.
I guess I prefer the first one. These metal experiment IRs are really the best ones I've ever used..

Mike, whould it be possible to add a tool to your website to scoop the mids out of an IR just as you did it with the Mesas? Maybe as an extention to the new (and awesome) IR mixer.

Can you explain what is the function of attaching the envelope to the frequency in the filter?

What is the function of the pitch, which you put in ()? i could not hear any big sound difference when I removed it.

Hansen said:
Can you explain what is the function of attaching the envelope to the frequency in the filter?

I use the filter to cut some low end before the amp. The harder you hit the strings the less low end comes through the filter.

Hansen said:
What is the function of the pitch, which you put in ()? i could not hear any big sound difference when I removed it.

The function of the pitch is simply to tune the guitar one halfstep down. If you dont hear a difference in pitch/sound you probably dialed in somethin wrong.

Aha.. i only checked for the sound, hehe. So what are your settings for the pitch and is this function so good that you e.g. can make patches you detune a lot to simulate the use of a lower tuned guitar?

Also, is the difference between the filter and just an EQ that the filter also takes into consideration how hard you hit the strings? Which function in the filter adjust this? Is this the "connecting the frequency to the envelope" thing?

Hansen said:
Aha.. i only checked for the sound, hehe. So what are your settings for the pitch and is this function so good that you e.g. can make patches you detune a lot to simulate the use of a lower tuned guitar?
Yes, with the pitch you can simulate a lower tuned guitar.
Here are the Settings:
Type: Fixed Harmonizer
Voice 1 Shift: -1 (means tune down everything one half step)
Voice 2 Level: -80db
Track Adjust 0.00
Mix 100%
Level 3db

Hansen said:
Also, is the difference between the filter and just an EQ that the filter also takes into consideration how hard you hit the strings? Which function in the filter adjust this? Is this the "connecting the frequency to the envelope" thing?

No, not really, but you can use the filter like this. A filter is like a PEQ with only one band, but you can do some things with it you cant do with a PEQ.

Settings:
Type: Highpass
Freq: 1004Hz ->klick enter
Source Envelope -> this this the "connecting the frequency to the envelope" thing
Scale 40.2
Offset 22
klick exit

To be honest, I didnt understand this filter thing in the first place, either as I've read it in the wiki.

Back
Top Bottom