Measuring flat response?

Tamerz

Inspired
I'm thinking about trying out using one of our PA speakers instead of my guitar cab. It is an EV Eliminator ii and here is the data sheet: http://www.electrovoice.com/sitefiles/downloads/Eliminator_ii_EDS.pdf

What I would like to do is find some way of measuring the frequency response of it in our practice space. Basically what I am thinking is putting some type of microphone about where my head is when we practice, do some type of sine sweep, and measure the results. Then I can use the output GEQ to make it flat.

Does anyone here know how to do that? A recommended software program and a suitable microphone? I'm assuming something like an SM57 or SM58 would be terrible for the job since they have their own color.

EDIT: Actually, even though I did a lot of searching before I found this which looks perfect: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4uSR3cUUSY&hd=1

Last edited:
I was about to order that ECM8000 microphone but then saw that Parts-Express has a Dayton Audio EMM-6 microphone that lets you download a calibration file that is specific to that exact microphone. Lots of good reviews. I went ahead and ordered it.

I was about to order that ECM8000 microphone but then saw that Parts-Express has a Dayton Audio EMM-6 microphone that lets you download a calibration file that is specific to that exact microphone. Lots of good reviews. I went ahead and ordered it.

If you think you can get done what you need to get done in 30 days, then SMAART is pretty good.

Smaart v7 Demo Downloads

Smaart is known to work well with the ECM8000, I have no idea how well it works with the Dayton, I seem to remember there is some way to bung a calibration file into SMAART, but the ECM8000 is close enough to flat for most purposes, that it's not usually worth worrying, unless you have a particularly good measuring enviroment.

If you think you can get done what you need to get done in 30 days, then SMAART is pretty good.

Smaart v7 Demo Downloads

Smaart is known to work well with the ECM8000, I have no idea how well it works with the Dayton, I seem to remember there is some way to bung a calibration file into SMAART, but the ECM8000 is close enough to flat for most purposes, that it's not usually worth worrying, unless you have a particularly good measuring enviroment.

That looks pretty cool. Worth playing with the demo.

Yeah, I'm sure the ECM8000 would be more than good enough for my environment. This was basically the same price though so I figured why not.

Rew plus the emm6 is a cheap way to go that will get you decent results. You will also need a spl meter- the digital radio shack model will do- and a decent sound card. Note that you will need phantom power for the calibrated mic. If your sound card doesn't have that option, look at behringer - they have a unit for about $25, iirc.

Someone actually posted a step by step method of measuring a room and setting your global EQ. I wish I could find that tutorial.

Remember the frequency response / amplitude response measurements are highly dependent on the microphone position during the measurement. (Unless you have a very $$$ treated space).

Moving the microphone, even small amounts, in an untreated space will most likely give different, sometimes wildly different, results.

Richard

Back
Top Bottom