McCarty with P90s anyone?

JasonB5232

Inspired
Been eyeing 98 McCarty with P90s on Reverb for awhile and wondering if anyone has one and wanted to get your thoughts. I have a PRS 20th Anniversary that I love with Dragon II pickups, Tele & Strat. I expect the quality to be good. So I'm really just looking to round out the tonal palette.

The red mahogany with the moons? I don’t own one of those but most of my guitars have P90’s now. I installed a pair of Duncan P-rails on my 06 Singlecut trem and 90% of the time I’m using the P90s. The P90 in the P-rail is the Vintage 90. I recall reading that originally PRS was using Duncan’s but might be wrong on that so don’t quote me on it. If you don’t have a P90 guitar you should pick one up, and I’ll bet that one will sound and play very good.

The prs formula has changed a lot since 98. It may be great it may be average. If its priced well that you wont lose money trying it, try it.

IMO, any McCarty is likely to be a great guitar.
I wasnt a huge fan of the older versions from a playing standpoint - it felt very “this does rock and blues, metal look elsewhere” play wise. However that may be OP’s wheelhouse lol.

I had my EBMM JP15 up on local used market recently and a guy offered me a trade for one just like that. It was a 2005 McCarty Soapbar light amber finish.

I think I read above where it was all dialed in with Lollars in it.
Ah, missed that. I was gobsmacked at how similar the prized original 3 PRS/SD P90s in mine were, tonally, to the hum-cancelling Fralins that replaced them. If the old Hamer Special I had back in the '90s had had pickups like the PRS/SD (instead of the overwound SDs that it had), I doubt I would have let it get away. The guitar played great, wonderfully comfortable neck carve. Should never have let it go. Anyhoo, shouldawouldacoulda, I guess. I am sure the Lollars are quite nice, too. :)

IIRC, mine was made in 1998. It's a solid color one. It had Duncan's in it from the factory, but I put some Fralin
hum cancelling P90's in and have been enjoying the lack of noise in a few of the places I've been playing.

Back
Top Bottom