MC-6 issues with Axe-Fx Mark II and Boss GP-10

Ben Harvey

I'm having some issues with a Morningstar MC-6, Boss GP-10 and the Axe-FX. My setup is:
  • MC-6 into a Midi Solutions Quadra Thru (a midi splitter)
  • One output of the QT into a Boss GP-10
  • Another output of the QT to my Axe-FX
  • Axe-FX midi out/thru back into the MC-6 (for the tuner)
I'm using a Primova Sound MIDX-10 to control the GP-10 as it doesn't have midi ports. I can't post links but you can Google it. It works fine usually (including with my RJM Mastermind controller).

Midi thru on the Axe-FX and MC-6 are off. The Axe-FX midi control works fine, including the tuner. However, when the Axe-FX is on I can't get the GP-10 to acknowledge midi commands from the MC-6:
  • If the Axe-FX is off (but midi still plugged in) the GP-10 works fine
  • If the Axe-FX is on the GP-10 doesn't respond to midi messages (but the Axe-FX does). I haven't touched any of the midi cables)
  • If I turn off the Axe-FX the GP-10 still doesn't work but if I turn the GP-10 off and on it's fine.
Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Just some thoughts to ponder:

Are you using different midi channels for the Axe Fx and MIDX-10?

Checking the MC-6 manual, I see that you can disable midi thru. You should probably do that, or else the midi stream coming back from the Axe Fx will go back out to the MIDX-10.

Maybe you've already done that - the manual says:

b. I can’t get the Tuner to work.
You need 2 midi cables connected the MC6 Midi OUT to the AxeFX Midi IN, as well as the AxeFX Midi OUT to the MC6 Midi IN. Disable Midi THRU on the MC6 and the AxeFX. Enable SysEx Messages on the AxeFX.

Hope that helps in some way.

Thanks. The tuner works fine; it's the GP-10 that doesn't.
They are on different channels but both work fine with the MC-6 on their own. It's only when running them both I have an issue.
Midi through is disabled on both the Axe-FX and the GP-10.

Messing with the send sysex option on the Axe seems to be causing the issue. I've got it working now but don't know what I did. All the settings seem to be the same as I had them before.

Troubleshooting: Try disconnecting the midi cable from the AxeFX midi out to the MC6 midi in. Are you able to get both to work this way?

OK so it was working again, I don't know why. Then I turned the MC-6 off and on and it stopped working (resetting the Axe-FX and GP-10 didn't fix it).
Disconnecting the midi out from the Axe-FX going to the MC-6 seems to work (although I have to reset the GP-10 after disconnecting the Axe-FX before it will start working). Obviously the tuner doesn't work but that isn't the end of the world; I can run the rig without the tuner.

Now I've plugged it back in and it's working. This is driving me crazy! :)

I suspect that the Axe-FX may be sending something that interferes with the MIDX-10/GP-10. However, the Axe-FX and GP-10 are both on different midi channels, plus both the Axe-FX and MC-6 have midi thru turned OFF.

Just to be clear, I can get both the Axe-FX and GP-10 to work fine individually. It's when I plug them both in I have issues.
Thanks.

FYI here's a rough sketch of how it is connected. I have two other midi devices (RJM mini effect gizmo and Strymon Timeline) that will eventually be incorporated into the rig on channels 2 and 3 (hence why the Axe-FX is channel 4).

upload_2017-1-22_10-2-58.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-1-22_10-1-59.png
    upload_2017-1-22_10-1-59.png
    9.9 KB · Views: 1
There is a way to turn off the 'midi thru' in the MC6 that is per-preset or globally. Double check which method was used?

I'm pretty sure I did it globally. Hold switches D+F while powering up then press D and it says "MIDI Thru Disabled".
Press C to exit then use like normal.

Lol now my PC doesn't recognise the MC-6 so I can't use the editor!
I'm pretty certain my issue is with the PC, not the MC-6 though

Could you check out this video, from 27min onwards:

Does that help?

Did you manage to get the MC6 to work on your PC? It recognised it before, right?

Yes I got it to work, thanks.
I changed the midi channel on the MC-6 (to see if that helped) and forgot to change it on the editor.
I'm an idiot :)

That video looks interesting. I'll try that later on.

Hi
Anyone know if it is possible to use the pedal(expression) in gp10 to control axe fx2 (volume wah wah etc)?
I want to buy that one but i also need an expression pedal for my axe.

I don't think the GP-10 sends midi messages. It also doesn't have dedicated midi out so you have to use USB. The USB is not class-compliant so you either need a Raspberry Pi (or similar) or a Primova Sound MIDX-10; however I think these are only useful for controlling the GP-10 (since I don't think it sends midi messages).
There's a heap of info on the vguitar forums.

Old thread -- but just in case anybody's still wondering -- The GP-10 internal expression pedal sends CC#11 (not changeable in the GP-10). You can certainly use it to control an external MIDI device including the Axe-Fx.

Back
Top Bottom