Maybe I am understanding Scenes wrong?

You have to use the Amp X/Y feature and can assign the amp to a foot switch and then use the foot switch hold x/y feature to toggle the amp.

Are you not able to have different AMPS within the same scene?

No you cant run 2 amps within the same scene with the AX8 (you can with the Axe Fx II & III)
Think of a scene as a preset within a preset, although it goes a little deeper what you are basically doing is turning blocks on and off. Instead of selecting another preset or doing some tap dancing. This includes the blocks X/Y states

However!!! you can have two amp models available within the same preset (but you cant run both at the same time)
This is done in the form of X & Y as mentioned above, so X might be a clean Fender and Y might be Marshal.
Through scenes you can select which one you want so ___
scene 1 Fender, scene 2 Fender, Scene 3 Marshall, Scene 4 Marshall and so on, and don't forget all the effects you are turning on and off per scene.

Don't take this the wrong way, if you struggling use another rig tonight (way less pressure and you wont come to hate the unit)
Once you get your head wrapped around the units capabilities and get a workflow going, pretty sure you will love it.
The Fractal stuff come to think of it any processor is not really plug and play there is a curve, not like EQ-ing a amp and rolling with it.
Something that just occurred to me, if you have not used your AX-8 with at least 1 band rehearsal, I would really recommend using something else for tonight.

I am not talking about dual amps like the AXE-FX. That I know. The fellas above helped me out in pointing me towards X/Y states. I have my clean amp in X state and Dirty in Y state. That’s what I needed! I am also a trial by fire fella lol

I am not talking about dual amps like the AXE-FX. That I know. The fellas above helped me out in pointing me towards X/Y states. I have my clean amp in X state and Dirty in Y state. That’s what I needed! I am also a trial by fire fella lol

Glad you got it sorted! Good luck tonight.
John

I meant preset. Still porting my brain over from Kemper!
One amp block makes sense. With conventional pedals you might have an AB pedal to switch between 2 amps but I never have. The XY is like an AB pedal. I think of a preset as a new pedal board and scenes as a built in pedal controller. A pedal controller can't add pedals, only turn them on and off so scenes change almost instantly. I am using the AX8 solo with an acoustic and looping. Great fun to set some foot switches to change preset (pedal board). The delay in loading makes it too slow for real time but with the 3-loop Boss you can build loops with 3 very different sounding guitars. WooHoo.

I meant preset. Still porting my brain over from Kemper!
In the AX8, you can have a different amp in every preset. It’s the scenes within each preset that you’re stuck with whatever is loaded in your X&Y blocks. Not sure if that needed to be stated... but the wording of your post made it seem like there was still some need for understanding on the function. Sorry if I’m overstating!

Thanks. I’ve figured this one out thanks to this board. I gotta say, even within scenes, going from a scene with amp X and Amp Y, there’s considerable switch lag

Thanks. I’ve figured this one out thanks to this board. I gotta say, even within scenes, going from a scene with amp X and Amp Y, there’s considerable switch lag
It has always been like this. It’s not lag, it’s an audio gap put there to prevent popping and other noises due to 100s of parameters and settings changing instantly.

The upcoming firmware has improved this tremendously as others pointed out. But from inception, Amp XY switching always purposefully had the gap.

Back
Top Bottom